Map For The Railway Buffs

Yes, remember Meadow Lane thus, 4 bridges over it plus the level crossing and a couple of those bridges tunnel like such was the number of tracks on top, as well as railways that "wishbone shape" near the top, just above GCR/GNR link to Victoria is part of the canal complex that served Boots and factories in this area. Thought you might have mentioned another thing not shown on that map!

Ashley

I presume you are referring to Meadow Lane football ground, I would have expected to see it shown on there by the time this map was drawn up.

Zoom in on the track arrangement and you will see the anamolly whereby excursion trains from Midland Station to the East Coast had to reverse back from Sneinton Junction into Low Level Station where an ex LNER loco would be waiting, the time I remember doing this it was a gleaming K3, the whole operations had to be repeated on coming back from the day trip, I would have thought it would have been a fairly easy exercise to install a set of points facing the direction of travel.

bcom1.jpg

I bet that this excursion took this devious route.

just looked up re the footie, till 1910 Notts played at Trent Bridge Cricket Ground and played first Meadow Lane match Sept 3rd 1910, drew 1-1 with forest. That reversing bit etc, wasn't it some "political" thing with the GNR? I think later in BR days the layout was amended to avoid this? I remember going on that "devious route" from Basford Vernon to Mablethorpe, but only real memory was of the father of family we shared compartmen with on return journey, his last words before getting off at Hucknall were "ah well, we'll go and see if the house is still standing" It was a bank holiday and they'd gone away to avoid The Hucknall Air Display

I think it probably was political, especially with the LNWR being involved as well. I'm sure that the problem still existed even after the link was put in at Colwick so that the Grantham trains could run into Midland, which I think was in the mid 60's. I feel certain that the track layout was changed when the Melton line was closed to all through traffic in December 1968, did you know that the last passenger train to use the route was the Royal Train in May 1968.

London Road 1963:-

RCTS_Tour_London_Rd_1963.jpg

lynmee, sorry if message sounded abrupt, on rereading it i realise could be taken thus? Firbeck re the royal train, I read those facts this week in "Lost Railways Of Nottinghamshire" funnily enough, was rather annoyed when this book first came out as I felt author had hijacked bits from my book, then again I did same from others!

Smashing map, thanks for posting.

Wish I could have seen the area when it was like that. There's even a cattle dock from the market for the anmals to get on the MR.

BTW has anyone got any pics of the L&NWR in sneinton? Drive past the retaining wall for the cattle dock there a lot but I've never seen pictures of it in the day. Thinking of the goods shed and the bridge across the hermitage.

Thing about The LNWR depot etc is it was very private, you couldn't really get to such to take pics, bound to be some though somewhere? In BR days this goods station was used for all the food deliveries etc, the "cave" storage under it was at constanst low temp and kept such fresh. Re cattle pens etc once saw an old map of Basford that showed the now way into "the country park" (and car dumping ground) at back of St Leo's Church as leading to Cattle Pens on The MR. That road had been the original "Church Street" leading into Old Basford pre railway days and for some years after, there must have been a level crossing as the railway came in 1848 and the bridge there was not built till 1876, I remember the remains of a bridge over the river leen in style of the one at Bulwell Bogs but that was removed when the river was ducted in I think 1970's?

Pictures of the LNWR goods depot are very elusive, I can't find them on any site anywhere, only these:-

lnwr_nottingham_small.jpg

manvers_goods_Jpg.jpg

I noticed that Bingham model railway club had a layout of Manvers Street goods yard that was destroyed by fire last month, sounds very tragic, but they must have had photographs to build it in the first place.

A very interesting picture that I came across taken at London Road station:-

123_lon_rd_J.jpg

Not really Fynger ,I would imagine there was a hell of a lot of heat came off the boiler/firebox