Anyone with a forge or similar

I have some distorted cast iron fire bars in me wood burning stove.

The misses ran it full blast with the bottom ash door open, it got red hot softening the bars!

Women!

Anyone got any method of heating and straightening them?

925566410_11ac57e524.jpg

Unfortunatley no hes no longer there....him, forge, dad, and pigeons have all gone....Last i saw it the lovely cottage was a estate agents...but ive since been told that its a funeral directors now.....real shame too....was a great place and was a proper OLD landmark with his old style sign outside....i have a pic of it somewhere.

Not much you can do with cast iron Mick, even heating the grate to red heat will still crack them when struck with a hammer. It's the crystal structure of the metal. Just replace the grates and live with it!

Even welding cast iron is a chore and pain in the butt, not always successful, but can be done by a pro. We were taught all this in first year with the NCB in workshop technology, even shown how to weld cast iron and what not to do during the process.

I've got to build myself a small forge, I keep needing heat to soften steel to work it, got a tower base that needs flattening, it's 1/2 of an inch thick and laughed at me when I put it on the anvil cold, the 3 lb hammer squealed in agony after just a few hits! Needs lots of heat before I can straighten it.

Try contacting the local riding school to see who puts the horse shoes on - there must be a blacksmith somewhere.

As John says, cast iron is a funny beast and must be 'worked' by those that know how to. Hit it with a hammer and it just snaps when cold. I've only ever sucessfully bronze welded cast iron once. Has to be heated 'red hot' throughout prior to welding otherwise it cracks.

We were taught by a blacksmith at the training centre Frank, as well as the theory at tech, but like you say, to make repairs to cast iron takes patience and lots of experience. The blacksmith had a vice that was broken, he heated the two parts until bright cherry red then gas welded them together with "cast iron" rods. took him ages, keeping the parts glowing and then finally, he left the parts in the forge to cool at the same rate as his forge fire.

Brazing seems to be the preferred method these days, but not as strong as heat treated welding.

I doubt very much that a warped cast iron grate can be "straightened" though.

Doubt very much there's much that can be done, other than replace them Mick.

Mine has two grates, then all the fire bricks sit on them around the sides and back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Are you saying the cottage shown in the picture above is the address on Google?

on current Street View it certainly looks like it.

HOWood.jpg