Well I've been on this planet over sixty years but I've never heard thunder like that ten minutes ago..It's a typical summer thunderstorm moving very slowly and raining hard.But just having come in from shopping I was in the kitchen when it sounded off.I literally jumped backwards...the dogs fled upstairs and my parrots started screeching.Burglar alarms going off everywhere...It literally sounded like someone discharging a shotgun in the same room.

I've NEVER heard the like...S**T!!!!!!! It must have been smack overhead...no sign of any damage anywhere...at least not that I can see, 'aint goin' out yet it's chucking it down.

Addition...

Cable TV and phone Kaput???

Yes I heard it too......but it wasn't as bad as where you were by the sound of your report.

Bip.

TV in lounge dead...OK so cables off...but can't get standby light on set.Checked fuses and run TV cable to other power point...nothing.Has it blown the set??? Kitchen set working ok but analogue channels only...lounge set won't come on ...period??

Good job you weren't on the internet, I was once during a thunderstorm and it wrecked the computer, mind you I had a direct phone line link then, the phone and everything else was fine. When I tried to claim on insurance, it was classed as an act of God, so I said forget the previous conversation, I'll throw it down stairs and it will be OK then, robbing insurance companies, they wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Sounds like a sensitive little micro chip has blown in your telly, better make out you dropped it down stairs and you'll get a new one without a doubt, or does the cable company have some responsibilty here.

yes bad here at Radcliffe too, esp as we live in a metal box! (caravan) Not quite as bad as once when camping at matlock when lightning actually struck the field we were in, another time a terrific bang when I was in old workshop on huntingdon st (corner of st marks street) like you went outside looking for damage but actual strike was house on forest road, knocked hole in the roof, Lightning never bothered me till I had heart op, in hospital after that I "died" every night in my dreams! got shot! in a plane crash! locked in a bank vault! and struck by lightning, unbelievably real, some said the drugs i was on, others the fact heart had been stopped and took out my body, gladly they soon stopped but left me scared of such!

Could be one of those small glass fuses in your tele ( on one of the circuit boards )...happened to me years ago on my vcr...almighty bang on the sideboard as the lightening struck the tv ariel....and thas all it was...a tiny glass fuse inside...replaced that and it still works today.

Power cuts in chilwell because of it.....few loud bangs and plenty of rain here in Kimberley...thas all.

An electrician mate has been round...been on to Virgin in Mubai or somewhere for over an hour.Phone still not on as I type.Mate says a power surge has come through cable ...through top box and via scart cable to TV.Top box and TV both knackered.He says circuit boards buggered.Virgin of course say it's not them but the Leccy board...my mate told 'em..."How come it's just your phone,top box and telly then?"If it was a surge through power lines it would've affected more than just the TV etc.

Three neighbours affected too...their TVs are also knackered...no lights on even when plugged in elsewhere.

Virgin engineer coming Wednesday...we'll see what he says.

When I tried to claim on insurance, it was classed as an act of God....

The insurer should not use an old excuse of 'Act of God'. A lightning strike is storm damage. A household buildings policy sould cover the structure, aerial, built-in wiring etc.

A contents policy should cover the television, DVD, VCR etc. Some insurers try and say the aerial is "contents2 but the IOB only agree if the aerial is inside.Any aerial outside is fixed property.

Typical wording in the Policy: "Covered: Damage caused by fire, smoke, lightning, explosion, earthquake, storm, flood and smudging as a result of fixed oil-fired central heating."

Don't let em off the hook with an 'Act of God' excuse. Remember, if you get a refusal, ask them to send you their official complaints procedure and details of the Financial Service Authority (FSA)complaint procedure and the Insurance Ombudsman Service (IOB).

The level of cover can legitimately differ depending on the cover purchased - replace brand new or just market value.

Remember, if the insurer wants to decline a claim ask them to highlight the exclsion clause they want to use and always ask for a witten determination.

It was bad down here in Bread and Lard Island too... but it looked much blacker north of the Trent.

I hope you are OK with no damage, and the set top box soon gets fixed.

Sent Email telling 'em what had gone off...got a reply from some outfit in India this morning.Guess what?? Wrong department...You need cable dept it says...Guess what?? you can't Email them ..phone calls only...and I aint got a phone have I?

I'm not phoning off my mobile not at the price it will cost me..only free on their line.bu99er if you aint got one working aint it?

There is no Email address whatsoever for Virgin cable...you can write a letter though..nice of 'em.In this day and age no way to Email them...how stupid can you get?

All I can do is wait for the engineer tomorrow...but I wanted to know who's liable for my buggered TV...he won't know will he?

ACT OF GOD EH ?

So presumably they can PROVE GODS EXISTANCE then ??

As for the e-mailing cable.....ntl ( as they were ) did a similar to me when i couldnt remember my e-mail password....they sent it me in my email.

still cant add smilies

Virgin just rang me...

"Your phone is fixed now...so we've cancelled engineer for Wednesday"

What about my telly says I

"Oh we didn't know you had a TV problem...we'll send an engineer Thursday"...

You soddin' well won't says I...that means another day off work...I wanna see one Wed as you promised...

"Sorry all booked up Wed gotta be Thurs" ...

No soddin' way says I ..you tell your manager I wanna see a guy Wed like you told me yesterday

"We'll have to come back to you when I've seen my manager"

That was two hours ago

Neighbour just knocked on door tonight..."I've just phoned 'em up about my TV...they're coming Wednesday"...I soddin' give up.

If that engineer calls tomorrow to see neighbour and doesn't see to me 'cause I'm not on his list...I'm gonna let his tyres down.

Phoned again this morning playing hell....

"We will have the engineer visiting your neighbour today call on you at the same time"

At last I found one with a brain...

I wasn't on his list, but the guy who fixed my neighbours phoned his mate up and saved him a journey.Got to claim on house insurance, TV and box knackered.