Another famous Nottingham pilot.

Rex Shilton

Rex Shilton, who has died aged 83, amassed close to 25,000 hours' flying in a career that began as an RAF apprentice and progressed to the rarefied atmosphere of airline boardrooms.

During three years with Rolls-Royce he flew 22 different aircraft types, including the Lancastrian, Spitfire, Canberra, Hunter and the engine test rig called the Thrust Measuring Rig (TMR) – better known as "The Flying Bedstead" – which was used to develop the vertical thrust technology to power the Harrier.

Rex Shilton was born on June 10 1926 at Nottingham and educated locally before joining the RAF in 1942, when he was 16, to train as a radio mechanic.

Was the pub: 'Flying Bedstaed' in Huckna' named after this?????????? used to be RR in Huckna'.............

Interesting account of one of his acts of courage:

On May 15 1956 he was conducting engine development trials on the Avon engine when he experienced a major malfunction that left him well within his rights to eject from the aircraft. He elected to remain at the controls, however, and performed an emergency landing back at Hucknall.

<H4 class=header> </H4>By saving his aircraft he enabled the engineers to identify the fault and design an engine modification. It was an act of courage which, he commented philosophically in later years, had probably enhanced his pension by only a few pence.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Highfield,

I am the historian of Rolls-Royce Hucknall. Any chance you could contact me, please. My email address is lindavia5@talktalk.net.

David Birch