UK Team's World Steam Record Attempt

Not doing such here of course, Mojave Desert USA but still of interest? have already unofficially passed the 127mph set in 1906 and are hoping to hit 170mph! Must be hell of a job for the fireman shovelling at that speed!

Didn't know owt about this one Ashley, it looks a bit sleaker than a Stanley Steamer.

I bet Fred Dibnah would have had a few things to say about this.

Incidentally, there's been talk about the new A1 Pacific Tornado, being given clearance to attempt beating Mallard by having a go at the World Steam Locomotive record by flogging it down the new Channel Tunnel line down to Folkestone, I'll believe it when I see it, they seem to have forgotten that the gradients on the line are'nt so forgiving as Stoke Bank.

Vehicle Details

Length 7.663 m

Width 1.700 m

Tall 1.700 m

Weight 3 tons

Engine Two stage turbine

13,000rpm max turbine revs

Transmission Rear wheel drive

Horsepower 268 kw 360 hp

Top speed 274 kph 170 mph

Fuel LPG Liquid Petroleum Gas

Burners 3 Megawatts of heat ~ 1500 kettles ~ 23 cups of tea per second

Boilers 12

Over 3km of tubing

Superheated

Steam Flow rate 40 litres per minute

Temperature 400°C

Pressure 4000kN/m-2 40 bar

Chassis Steel space frame

Steering Rack and pinion to front wheels

Body Front section carbon composite

Rear section aluminum panels

Front tyres Goodyear Speed Eagles 23 X 15

Rear tyres Goodyear Speed Eagles 28 X 15

Water capacity 140 litres distilled water

1,000 litres (1ton) of water used every 25 minutes

Gas capacity 60 litres

Air system 30,000kN/m-2 300 bar

Batteries 4 X 90Ah batteries

© 1999-2009, British Steam Car Challenge

It looks like it's propelled by a steam turbine, lets not forget the affect that 'Turbinia' had on the Fleet Review in 1897, you would have thought that steam technology would have come on a bit since then, obviously a neglected science.

you would have thought that steam technology would have come on a bit since then, obviously a neglected science.

Surprising innit? Actually, steam turbines have advanced dramatically but mostly in the design of blades, etc. The concept is still the same, and to the untrained eye a modern turbine would look much like a 100 year-old one. Probably the biggest changes in steam technology have been in boiler design and efficiency!

I wonder if they run a water truck alongside the steam car to keep it topped off? ;)

Just heard on the radio that the record for steam power was broken today , I think something like 132 mph

Rog

aye I saw that, didn't see any fireman though! in reality though the 130 odd mph is only what some cars and most superbikes do if not daily then often, so really it's only the "engine" that has lagged behind development wise

Can you believe that it's the best they can do after all that time and technological advances, incredible.

I was hoping to see a an interview with the proper driver, grease top hat on back to front, soot stained face but white eyes where the goggles had been, a typical scene at Grantham station in the 60's.