The Brown Thing Quiz

Following Fyngers succesful Blue Thing Quiz, here's another.

Can you tell me what these objects were used for, they both performed the same function, one is surprisingly, given it's importance, crudely made of wood, the other is Bakelite, which has writing on it that would give the game away. I also have other examples that are made of cast iron, though they're in the loft, but they aren't much different from the wooden example, apart from a few Victorian embelishments.

They all come from the Nottingham area, any ideas.

items.jpg

Good question Fynger, the wooden one is 115mm long and 60mm wide, I've just been rooting around in the garage trying to find the cast iron ones, they're in an old biscuit tin along with some related items, but I can't find it at the moment. I have found a pic on Wiki of one of the wooden ones actually in use, but that would give the game away.

I can't actually work out how the Bakelite thingy performs the same function, but apparently it does.

I take it from the obvious lack of response they are nothing to do with electricity or overhead wires then?

Rog

The one on the right looks like something we used to put in brickwork to 'tie' two walls together> (But not made out of bakelite though!!)

Sorry Rog, nowt to do with overhead wires, Bakelite wall ties sound like they could have been a good idea though Beefsteak, I wonder whether anybody ever tried it.

Littlebro has it spot on.

If a train was stationary at a stop signal, the wooden block was slipped over the lever arm and clip preventing it from being moved until the bell code from the next signal box up the line gave him clearance to do so, you can see it in postition in this picture:-

800px-Signal_box_inside.jpg

I assume that the Bakelite peg would have been hung on there as well as a reminder, as I can't see how it would have impeded the movement of the lever:-

items-1.jpg

The cast iron examples, that I still can't find, have 'Stop' cast into the front of them, I presume that when these got misplaced that the wooden ones were cheaper to produce.

These two examples came from Carrington Street signal box by the way, between the tunnels.

Funny isn't it, I move one box to change a light bulb in the garage and find the biscuit tin.

Here's a couple of pics of the slightly different cast iron lever collars, roughly the same size as the wooden one, the one on the right is Midland Railway in origin from Wollaton Colliery Sidings Box:-

items001.jpg

items002.jpg

While wer're on the subject, here's a selection of lever plates, from various places including Eastwood and Annesley sheds, the one that gets me is the square jobby refering to Northampton, I believe it's LMS in origin but haven't a clue where that one came from, Nottingham area, but any ideas?

items003.jpg

If I've time tomorrow I have a good quiz question for Beefsteak.