The slow, deliberate destruction of a piece of railway history.

Believe it or not, while researching Bullwell Forest Station, I came apon this local gem. Hidden away from the world, it's a rare survivor from the Victorian period, an early representative of Victorian carriages, acting as a shelter on the station platform, it's been allowed to rot away by the farming fraternity, no doubt they want to sell it off to make a profit for themselves and no-one has taken up on their greed.

Despite living down here for nearly 30 years I hadn't a clue that this hidden gem existed, it's on a local former branch line, sad to see what has been allowed to happen to it, no youth vandalism, just ignorant and probably deliberate neglect.

duxfordremembranceday2009001.jpg

duxfordremembranceday2009002.jpg

duxfordremembranceday2009003-1.jpg

Amazing, sorry it's not Notts but I thought that a small proportion of you might be interested in it, however you might be, or could be bothered to respond.

• Upvote 1

Now you got me old grey matter doing overtime and it's just kicked in, there is a similar carriage in a field adjacent to the Cromford canal, Whatstandwell side of the Leawood tunnel on Leashaw farm, it was there in the summer when me and Rose walked the tow path, we won't be getting up that way again this year but as soon as we do I will get some pics of it, I also seem to think there is an old guards van in the same field all tucked away in some old hedge rows

Rog,

,PS just finished watching an old Cab ride video of a class 85 running from Euston to Liverpool and the narrator spoke of an old carriage in some sidings just up from Euston station and he say's as far as he knows it's been left there since the Victorian times

Now you got me old grey matter doing overtime and it's just kicked in, there is a similar carriage in a field adjacent to the Cromford canal, Whatstandwell side of the Leawood tunnel on Leashaw farm, it was there in the summer when me and Rose walked the tow path, we won't be getting up that way again this year but as soon as we do I will get some pics of it, I also seem to think there is an old guards van in the same field all tucked away in some old hedge rows.

I'll have to have a trawl through Google Earth to see if I can spot them.

In the 60's such relics were all over the place, I recall a couple of former Nottingham trams sitting in a field outside of Colwick, I wonder what happened to them, there were also a couple of ancient Barton buses in the field next to the former family farm at the end of Cockington Road, these got vandalised and smashed to pieces when the farm became vacant. I recall going on holiday to Wales a few times in the 80's and finding some incredible railway carriages in use as holiday homes at New Quay and in particular Borth, I think that some of these are still in use, there's a particularly fantastic GER carriage at Sea Palling in Norfolk, situated in the sand dunes, it's kept in immaculate condition.

As for carriages/wagons being left for years in situ, there are a couple of ancient guards vans dumped at the end of a truncated siding at Wroxham in Norfolk. They've been there for as long as I can remember, 35 years at least, they still look as if they are waiting to be attached to the end of a pick up freight, I always feel very sorry for them, clearly the last freight never arrived, I wish someone would give them a bit of TLC before it's too late, they must be pretty unique.

As for my little gem, here it is in use before the line closed in 1964:

ashdon_halt_old1.jpg

As an engineer Rog, you must know about the famous Acrow props, the company had a massive factory in Saffron Walden, but unbelievably, they went bankrupt in the 70's, the buildings are still there but mainly occupied by a local builders merchant, Ridgeons.

They had their own station built in 1957, called Acrow Halt, just down the line from Ashdon Halt, the subject of this article, heres a couple of pictures of it then and now:

acrow_halt_old1.jpg

acrow_halt6.jpg

Fascinating, does anyone know of any interesting survivors of old Nottingham stations, are there any abandoned and unloved, I know that Kimberley Midland is, I went to see it when I was last up there. There's a particularly amazing survivor in Suffolk, but once again the farmer that allegedly owns it wants it to rot.

both kimberley stations are still there, or were till recently? about 10 years ago the midland one quite well preserved as social club, one of the bars was on a then built over platform! not seen any carriages locally but theres a couple of the old goods vans used to house donkeys or small ponies at side of gamston bridge, Possibly last remaining railway station building that remained after beeching era was Basford Vernon Station (part of) and original Goods Shed? later large wooden ones are still there

Think you'll find the Kimberley stations have changed in the past 10 years....the Great Northern one is now houses and are well maintained but the poor Midland one if you look at my Flickr page ' bluegrass1957 ' is in terrible condition....almost to the extent of is falling down and will be demolished if left much longer....shame too.

Midland Station Kimberley

Great Northern Station Kimberley

My in-laws from Ambaston inherited a Southern 16T ventilated van in their garden, following a recent move - the type with irregular horizontal planking. In surprisingly good condition for a wooden item more than 70 years old. They've put it to good use as an 'overflow' garage!

Apparently, an expanding market is now that of withdrawn 'freightliner' containers, with folk prepared to pay up to £10K for the 20 foot version...certainly offers a variety of uses.

Cheers

Robt P.

yes The Midland one is same as I last saw it, years back when the working men's club my son used to practise with a band in the outside skittle alley, The GNR one was a builders yard? then empty not long after about same era, is the footpath over the streams etc still at the back there leading to watnall?

...just finished watching an old Cab ride video of a class 85 running from Euston to Liverpool...

If that's the early Railscene production, hauled by Snowdon, complete with the superb commentary from Willesden's Senior Footplate Inspector (John?) - it remains, 20 years on, just about the best ever Cab Ride video.

Cheers

Robt P.

ps re Basford Vernon, meant to say last railway buildings from that era destroyed in Nottingham, as I seem to recall those and platforms less edgings lasted till the coming of the trams, at same time the footbridge went and signal box at david lane

There used to be a line of lovely ex Midland Railway ventilated vans in use as changing rooms at Bramcote Hills Park football pitches. They were painted NCC green and sat on their original underframes, only the wheels had been removed and they still had their MR worksplates bolted in place, unfortunately they defied the efforts of my extra large spanner to remove them, hopefully, when they were eventually scrapped, some keen type at the parks department had the intelligence to remove them and shove them in the Wollaton Park Industrial Museum, unlikely, but I live in hope. Did anyone on here recall seeing them, or God forbid, have to get changed in them after a cold, wet, muddy, winters football match, I recall some of the dreadful changing rooms I had to endure playing footie around Nottingham in the 60's and 70's, Colwick Woods were the worst, but old Midland Railway vans must have been a real pain to endure after slogging away for 90 minutes.

Are the GC Arnold Road overbridge abuttments and the rathole tunnel mouths still visible?

Not sure, once drove under Arnold Rd though and over Valley Road in a van! (seemed a good idea at the time) when they were taking away embankments etc,

Part of the Valley Rd bridge wall remains, as does one that was at end of GCR viaduct on Hucknall Lane? (near old lido) ditto Wells Rd from the NSR and Manvers Street from the LNWR, thinking about it there must be no end similar?

...I recall some of the dreadful changing rooms I had to endure playing footie around Nottingham in the 60's and 70's...

Thanks a bunch for stirring such horrendous memories!

Basford Hall MW, Bracebridge Drive and King George V...all pretty dire too...

Also shiver in recalling your old school changing rooms following a February rugby match...IIRC, hefty away win :Friends:

Cheers

Bockscar...

Thanks a bunch for stirring such horrendous memories!

Basford Hall MW, Bracebridge Drive and King George V...all pretty dire too...

Also shiver in recalling your old school changing rooms following a February rugby match...IIRC, hefty away win :Friends:

Cheers

Bockscar...

Good, BGS thought they were invincible at rugby, don't recall being told of a defeat, or our changing rooms being so lacking in hospitality and warmth, though, probably deliberately done to upset the away team while our lot got changed in the new all singing and dancing 6th form block, lovely place.

Yeah i remember the vans at Bramcote....didnt know they were changing rooms tho...just saw them there. More long gone. Be nice if the plates were rescued but wollaton ind museum if its closing would be a sad place to put them as everything there more than likely wont be seen again.

...Good, BGS thought they were invincible at rugby...

High Pavement GS >> which begat Old Paviors >> which begat great success** >> which begat less success >> which begat the slide to the lower reaches...

** Lost narrowly (26-19?) to London Welsh in the '88? Pilkington Cup, at The Old Deer Park.

To coin a phrase..."I was there".

Had they won - and they should have - in the next round they would have played Bath RFC, at Bath's Recreation Ground - at that time, the world's greatest club rugby team!

Pavs' demise began at that point...

Cheers

The Great Artiste...

Rob, re cab ride video, you are quite right it is that one, drivers name was Phil, the inspector was full of information and not just about the railway, By the way I keep looking for Beefsteak when the train passes through Winsford (ha ha) plenty of old goods and guards vans out here in Lincolnshire, keep your eyes open for them when you go through Billinghay on your way to Skegvegas.

Rog

Don't we pass one on Aviation day in that back garden ?? (I think the film might be a bit before my time over here)

Just slightly off topic but going along with what Rob posted, my local Footie team "Winsford United" were top of the ' Blue Square North' (Or equivalent at the time) when I first moved here ( almost excactly 12 years to the day!!) they were 5 points clear 3 games in hand and in the first round of the FA cup. They were away to Chester and were exeedingly unlucky to loose!! Then (As happened to 'Old Paviors' )they went into a tremendous decline, 4 relegations and now from the verge of the conference, they are playing little factory sides and are lower than the likes of FC United and ofcource AFC Wimbledon!! both of whom weren't even formed 12 years ago!!!

You're right there Ian, it's on the left side of the road as you enter Billinghay from Tattershall, most of the station buildings are still standing along most of the GN route as you may remember from previous aviation days, I will try to get some pics of them over the next few weeks and post them on here, most have been converted into private dwellings now but still have that "station building" look to them

Rog

When I drive around Cornwall there are places nearby called Otterham Staton and Camelford Station (Nowhere near Camelford) where there is no evidence of train lines ,but some of the buildings !!!!!!! there are a couple converted to private residences and although I have looked on Google Earth , I can find no trace of the line. It seems to peter out near Eglo Kerry a couple of miles out of Launceston

I assume it's from Launceston to Wadebrige via Delabole , but would love to find some more of it

...I assume it's from Launceston to Wadebrige via Delabole , but would love to find some more of it

Part of the original,and long defunct,London & South Western Railway network that ran due west from Exeter, offering a rail service to many of the North Devon and Cornish coastal resorts, and an alternative route 'round the back' to Plymouth...a famous Dr Beeching closure victim. Map link below...will need some clicking and zooming!

G.Oogle Esq should have more detailed maps in his cupboards...

http://www.semgonline.com/sr_map/srmap1.html

Cheers

Bockscar...