Trainspotting in Nottm in the 50's and 60's and the ECML

It's warming nicely ta . I've kept the one next to me spare for any one with anoraks elbow , but please don't bring your Ian Allen books with you.................

yada.gif

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And the front view

Groan, you all say, another bloody train thread, fair enough. For us keen types, and there are several on here, it was a way of life during this period, quite innocent and promoted by kids programmes

Ashley,

Reckon this Pullman working that you referred to was a further appearance by Duchess of Sutherland, heading for Grantham and Peterborough. Apparently she has been eastward through Radcliffe and Bingham at least three times in recent weeks.

Nottingham-Lincoln traffic will always go straight on, via Newark Castle, at Netherfield Junction.

Firbeck had a link for steam special workings, which I've lost!

Cheers

Robt P.

Don't know what was pulling it but some "special" came through Radcliffe on Trent heading for nottm a bit ago,heard the "rumble" but by time I looked up had missed the loco but lots of well lit pullman type coaches with diesel tagged on the end

There was a 'Pullman' train, presumably the Northern Belle set in platform 3 at Midland around 17.30 this evening, skip 28 was on the back, don't know about the front one.

I believe it was on one of these rather pricey round trip meal trains £300ish to ride behind a skip !faint!

Lets not forget those other wonderful monsters of ECML rock:-

The doer of all things and seen often at Nottingham Vic, the V2, York shed 1966, a sister engine behind, taken with my elastic band powered Prinzflex, this spot, incidentally is now the roundhouse forming the centre point of the NRM, I preffered it when it was mucky and used like this.

Come back Plantfitt, the storm could be over, I await your comments.

The V2 at the back looks like 60831, a Leicester Central engine for some time late 50's, early 60's, so well known on the GC, and the last English based V2 when withdrawn in 1966, I think.

Some nice pictures there, very atmospheric.

Have you got any pics to show us, Ravintrainman, we'd love to see them.

I feel a bit out on a limb here, surely some more of you must have some old snaps of days gone by.

If you want to know the timings of steam specials, just Google Mainline Steam 2009 and you'll get your answers and times, hopefully.

Speak for yourself.....................rotfl.gif

Can you post us that link to the 2010 programme please Ashley, I had the old (2009) one but have lost it somewhere

Thanks

I feel a bit out on a limb here, surely some more of you must have some old snaps of days gone by.

If you want to know the timings of steam specials, just Google Mainline Steam 2009 and you'll get your answers and times, hopefully.

No pics I'm afraid, had to share a camera with parents, none of us took many pictures, not got any way of getting them into the computer anyway.

Never been one to take many pictures, been out route learning between nottingham-Norwich the last 3 weeks, took my digital camera but never got it out of my bag ;)

Cheers Ash, nothing till March 19th, but look at that !! I'd love to get on that one , Crewe-Carlisle - Settle - Crewe.

Speak for yourself.....................rotfl.gif

Can you post us that link to the 2010 programme please Ashley, I had the old (2009) one but have lost it somewhere

Thanks

I can't work this one out, you take the p1$$, fair enough if you're not interested in railways, I understand that, us anoraks are worth having a go at, but then you're asking for info on passing steam trains, not a good attitude to show towards an obviously railway biased newbie from a mod is it, I call it hypocrisy.

I have a lot of old railway pictures that I've taken myself, many from the Nottingham area from the 50's and 60's that are quite unique and I'm happy to take the time to publish them on here, if it is a source of amusement, then I won't bother anymore, fair enough. Do I complain about your aircraft pictures, not at all, I look forward to seeing them and generally on most of your photographic postings and comments that you offer.

scan0028-4.jpg

45570, New Zealand, the back end of a double header taken at Trent in June 1959, clearly not worth publishing anymore of my personal gems without derisory comments.

• Upvote 1

I think he was being ironical!

...45570 New Zealand, the back end of a double header taken at Trent in June 1959..

Interesting, as New Zealand was a Derby loco for decades but the pictured shedplate certainly isn't 17A!

Could be either Sheffield Millhouses or Kentish Town, which would be logical for the Thames-Clyde job..

Edit:

Found it...Millhouses it was...for my 'Derby decades', read 6 months :tease:

Outline History

August 1934 Built at NBL (Hyde Park)

Makers Number: 24128

Lot Number: 118

Original LMS number: 5570

January 1936 Named New Zealand

June 1948 Renumbered 45570

September 1950 Based at Bristol (Barrow Road)

January 1957 Based at Derby

June 1957 Transferred to Millhouses

November 1961 Transferred to Canklow

June 1962 Transferred to Sheffield (Darnall)

October 1962 to June 1963 Stored at Sheffield (Darnall)

December 1962 Withdrawn

July 1963 Cut up at Crewe Works

Cheers

Robt P.

I refused to rise to your inflammatory comments Firbeck, and fortunately as I turned the page I noticed your half hearted apology, and it is accepted, but if you can't see irony , especially when accompanied byrotfl.gif Giff then I'm a little on the disappointed side.

Anyway, I'm waiting for full details to come from the organisers of the railway tour, suffice to say it's a little on the expensive side, but for a once in lifetime journey, steam, over perhaps the best journey on offer in this Country and lunch and dinner thrown in for about £150 I just might find the funds to do it !!!!

Come on Pete, stop being so tetchy and take a chill out pill lol. I don't pretend to have anywhere near the knowledge and understanding that you and a few others on here have but i could look at your photo's and attached comments all day and everyday so please keep them coming. While you might not think they are good enough for a book there are a few people on here (myself included) who would disagree with you. You have too many memories and photo's to not let them be shared with the masses. Keep em coming please.

...You have too many memories and photo's to not let them be shared with the masses. Keep em coming please...

Slightly O.T, but reinforcing this thought. A few years ago, when I worked for Volvo, I visited their warranty support facility near Warwick (this is Volvo trucks). Anyhow, I mentioned I was a pilot and they all said you need to meet ... (forgot his name). He was they guy who serviced their forklift trucks - but he had compiled, and published a book on the Spitfire "Gate Guardians". He tracked as many as he could from their time in the RAF to the present - an astonishing number are flying! I am very pleased (and proud) to say I have a signed copy of his book!

Bottom line - if you are passionate about a subject, and have photos and data to back it up - there are a LOT of folks who are interested in what you have - GO FOR IT!

Here's the link they have sent me.

http://www.railwaytouring.co.uk/index.php/the-cumbrian-mountain-express---190310.html

Is East Midlands Parkway the new one by the power station??

Speaking as one who's had a lifelong interest in steam but was unfortunately born too late to see the "real thing" in action on BR metals, I enjoy these regular railway threads on here; minly because they are mostly photographed and written about locations which I can relate to.

All too often on gricers' boards you get nit-picking dickheads arguing about petty little details which don't interest me in the slightest, and hijacking the threads. doesn't happen so much on here; keep 'em coming boys. thumbsup

Just out of interest, I grew up at Thurgarton, on the Nottingham-lincoln line. If anyone has any photos relating to that particular stretch of railway I'd be most grateful to see them.

Just spoke with the father in law about the March 19th trip and his ears certainly pricked up , a bit more of a hint tomorrow and you never know what Santa may bring !!!