AyUp from frosty Coventry

Hiya. I was born and bred in Chilwell, finally upsticks and moved to Coventry in 1999 after 34 years in Notts --miss it loads an' all. I lived first in kingrove Ave, then up the nook for a bit then finally Clumber Avenue. Used to drink in the Victoria in Beeston as well as The Crown and the Top House in Bramcote. look forward to meeting new friends!

I spent a year on Mercia FM in Coventry, you have my sympathy for being there! !bravo!

I seem to remember! Thankfully i rarely venture into the city centre - after working there for 2 years that was enough. Cov must have the highest rate of mental illness and bad teeth in the country

Welcome and Happy New Year.

As Beefsteak will confirm, Coventry is the home of Air Atlantique, who I think is the biggest operator of vintage DC-3 Dakotas in Europe, along with a selection of airworthy 1940's/50's military jets, can't be such a bad place then.

I've only ever been once, we spent a week on a narrow boat touring the canals in the area and went down the Coventry Canal to the basin near the city centre, I thought it was a very pleasant place. I took a walk into town, and apart from the awful 1950's town centre reconstruction, there were some interesting buildings if you had a sniff about, the people seemed right friendly as well.

I seem to recall a programme a few months ago featuring Pete Waterman attempting to get the government to put money into re developing the city centre, which I must admit is pretty awful architecturally wise, but then Nottingham had it's share of 50's, 60's and 70's planning blight as well.

I think I heard a recent whisper that Coventry airport is closing down so Air Atlantique and it's collection will be looking for a new home!!

It doesn't say any thing on here yet

http://www.airatlantique.co.uk/

As Coventry is one of My local airports, suprised I never found a holiday flight from there??

East Midlands, Luton, Manchester, London Yes, but never saw any come up from Coventry.

I did stay at The Coventry Hill Hotel a couple of times, hotel and parking, before flying from Birmingham Airport.

Why did Coventry never take off?

Coventry Airport closed down suddenly just before Christmas. Previously there were holiday flights into and out of Coventry but I believe these ceased over the summer. I think about 70 people lost their jobs just before xmas

So the whisper I heard was true then!!!

Coventry was, until very recently, just for cargo (Mostly mail) as the nearby Birmingham international is used for mostly passengers.

I have no idea what they are doing with it now , as I said the last I heard the closure was just a rumour !!!

I think I heard a recent whisper that Coventry airport is closing down so Air Atlantique and it's collection will be looking for a new home!!

It has indeed been closed down as an airport, but it's all a bit of council political wrangling crap, so I wouldn't worry about it, when their committees get their heads round their own comittees and realise what they've done and what a fool they've made of themselves as usual, AA will continue to operate from there, I'm sure of that.