My mum was asked to join a council "Think tank" for a year in about 1985 . The idea was to think up ways of making the flats on Foxhill Road , Carlton into a safer environment.

After a year they put in a new bench too , that was it ,!!! the council then proceeded to 'reward' the local help with a party , all food and drink provided for free !! Mum said the bench cost about a hundred quid , the 'junket' about £2000 !!!

Amazing how they place it in the middle of a pavement to obstruct wheelchairs and pushchairs.

Its only a few months ago that the city council banned advertising boards outside shops with pavements a lot wider that that.

Another thing we've noticed too recently is our filter jugs water runs through faster and our kettle seems to pour faster.....have the council thinned the water ?...can see them s0ds watering it down to save money.

That stuff is amazing! You just add water! inthebin.gif

Typically such a sign would be in the heart of a village - on a village green, by a water pump or the like.

There are 6 circles, three of which contain icons. What are the icons of? One appears to be a Davy lamp (mining), another a barrel (brewing). I assume that as there are 3 empty circles that they could not think of 6 worthys?

Nice sign though, I hope it does not get vandalised. Wonder what they paid?

Think the 3rd circle has a bolt of material in it for the big factory that was up here ( name escapes me ).....yep the other 3 blank circles do look stupid tho.