HI From An Expat

Hi from a Nottingham born and bred expat.

I've only just found this board and, having read some of the posts, just had to apply to join. The memories, humour and reminders of a unique accent that I sometimes struggle to recapture have drawn me in.

How did I stumble across this little gem? Sometimes I Google names from past and present to see what comes up. With a little embarrassment, I confess that I Googled 'Amber Vandella'. Why should I be embarrassed, though, when you guys actually posted about her? When I was a nipper we drove often by that junction of Alfreton Road and Gregory Boulevard, not far from Bobbers Mill. A building, club apparently, showed her name outside. It meant nothing to me but my parents stared at the sign and chuntered a few words that told me she was a saucy lady. Not much of an incident but it stuck in the memory of an impressionable lad and I've occasionally wondered what the lady looked like.

Anyway, Amber led me here. I hope to contribute a little from my memories but unfortunately lack examples of those great images that I see here.

Nottingham, for me, is a sad shadow of what it was in the '60'. The '50's were drab but things changed radically during the next decade, at least if your were young and had a job. I left Nottingham in 1969 and never returned to live there. Each subsequent visit into town has been a disappointment as I remember the great city that it once was.

Anyway, thanks Admin. for approving my application. :smile:

Help! How did that avatar image get there? It's an image of someone modelling my wife's silk and it's in a folder in my computer. Geez, it's the last thing I'd select for my avatar!!!

How do I get rid of it? I can't find it in my profile settings.

Welcome.

Some members have been here years and not mastered the insertion of an avatar in their profile.

Top right button to change your profile information.

Lets hear more of your Notts Memories?

I already went to Change Avatar and there's no entry to change! I've got to sort that out. The pic. might give the wrong idea! Admin., please dig into by profile and help. Ta!

I'll start to post some memories of good old Nottingum tomorrow. Our local town is up to two metres in flood water because the rainy season has gone into extra time with a vengeance and some joker opens the dam in the mountains every night. My wife's home village is cut off too. We've spent some hours today oggling the flood, taking pics. and floating around in army boats checking on friends and family. I'm too cream crackered this evening to get a good connection between brain and keyboard.

I'm seven hours ahead of you guys back home, by the way.

For starters, though, anyone remember the Black Boy? A great place to find out about parties on a Saturday night until Littlewoods ripped it down. Sacrilege! For younger members, that was in the days when you could go into a city pub without having to get past a great lump of a bouncer or have your ears split by crappy music.

Hi froggy - I changed your avatar, but feel free to update it to something more in your taste.

Welcome to Nottstalgia from somebody 5 hours in the opposite direction!

Hi froggy - I changed your avatar, but feel free to update it to something more in your taste.

Welcome to Nottstalgia from somebody 5 hours in the opposite direction!

Thank you! I might have to find a different on though! :rolleyes: