That's because they are not Police Officers.

They do not investigate or detect crime Per Se.

I suspect the detected crimes are those where

they happen to have witnessed it occurring.

Their job is to patrol the street and prevent crime.

But IMO the money would be better spent putting bobbies on the beat.

Hmm........Two young ladies in Community Police uniforms were standing near a zebra crossing when I was nearly struck by a speeding car overtaking the car that had stopped to let me cross.

I gasped, 'Did you see that?' and one of them tutted and said, 'I know - some people eh?' and they both strolled off in a northerly direction.

I know there was probably little they could have done, but honestly............! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

In my experience the City's Community Protection Officers (CPOs) put themselves about rather more than the Police Community Support Officers. The other day there was a snarl-up at the junction of Huntingdon Street and Woodborough Road and fair-does to them they were in quick as flash directing traffic. In similar situations I've seen police officers just standing around with their fingers up their ar$es.

And in the city centre the CPOs are now the only visible uniformed presence on the streets.

In the 1970's the markets square always had a police officer on duty, he was never diverted to

other commitments around the square. Ch Supt of the time, Alf Bowley decreed this.

Just before Christmas I bumped into a retired detective, who cant believe what has happened to the Notts force.

He informed me that, now in his 90's, Alf, still remember the names of officers who worked under him when he meets them.

And that Alf no longer visits the city.

Alf Bowley would never have allowed the public drunkeness exhibited by young drinkers of today.

A quick google search tells me someting I never knew.

Alf wrote a book.

Born and brought up in Basford, Alf Bowley served through World War 11 with the Grenadier Guards, followed by more than thirty years with the police in Nottingham. Retirement enabled him to explore the history of his birthplace and he is presently Vice-President of the Basford Local History Society. After a three-year part-time course at the University of Nottingham he has summarised in this book some of his researches.

BASFORD - VILLAGE TO SUBURB by Alfred.S. Bowley

This is an extract from "Basford - Village to Suburb" by Alfred S. Bowley.

The recent note to someone not to confuse Mapperley near Ilkeston, with

Mapperley in Nottingham actually highlights, perhaps unintentionally, the

origin of the name of this Nottingham suburb.

The hillside in the south-east of Basford Parish was known as Corner Wong

when it was bought in 1396 by a wealthy wool merchant from Mapperley near

Ilkeston. Over the centuries, it changed hands many times but by 1792 it was

owned by Ichabod Wright, a Nottingham banker. In 1792, a start was made on

building his mansion, Mapperley Hall, and the parkland around it took on the

name. There is a stained glass window to his memory in the parish church.

His bank, now part of Lloyds, is on Carlton Street, Nottingham.

In my experience the City's Community Protection Officers (CPOs) put themselves about rather more than the Police Community Support Officers. The other day there was a snarl-up at the junction of Huntingdon Street and Woodborough Road and fair-does to them they were in quick as flash directing traffic. In similar situations I've seen police officers just standing around with their fingers up their ar$es.

And in the city centre the CPOs are now the only visible uniformed presence on the streets.

Why do we need City Community Protection Officers when we have Police Community Support Officers? Basically they patrol in pairs and do nowt at excessive cost (that's both varieties). I agree with Admin - what we need is more police officers not CSOs or CPOs - we'd get better service from CP30 frankly.

Nothing really to do with this particular argument , just policing in general. (As you all should know by now , I'm the first to stick up for our boys in blue and the (sometime) terrible tasks they have to undertake)

As I drove home, to Cheshire from Nott'm, this evening I got to the point where the A50 reaches the A500 in Stoke , it used to be a 'good' junction ,ie very little hold ups despite the amount of traffic using it and from whatever direction you approached. Then 'THEY' put in the dreaded traffic lights, result 5 minutes wait in all directions, even totally off peak you could wait a minute or so for them to be in your favour. Tonight they weren't working (Quite busy too ) result ? not a queue in any direction !!

Another point I may have already mentioned on here. I was stuck by a blocked road , some female numpties had parked directly opposite a van that was doing some work in a house there, thus blocking said road, as it was the side of the road they always parked on whilst getting their 'little darlings' from school they thought they had the god given right to park there and that the "Worker" should move , instead of them simply parking on the same side as him!!

I sat there and said nothing. As I couldn't go forward or back , I decided to pull over as tight to the kerb as I could and just watch the story unfold as the stupid munters got about their self righteous huffing and puffing, "He can't park there!" , "He shouldn't be parked there!", " If I can't park right up by the school then darling little Chardonnay/Brittany/Bronte, will have repercussions over having to walk 20 yards extra!!" till two "Hobby Bobbies" turned up , yup they then proceeded to , firstly find the van driver and admonish him for parking on that side of the road, albeit the side of the road directly outside the house he was working on , and he had so obviously been parked there all day any way!! Then elder one of the two then comes over to me and tells me "You can't park there either", regardless of the fact I wasn't parked there, I was just waiting for all the ignorant cows to "Eff off" and let the rest of us who knew how to drive, to get on with our business!!" He walked off with his tail between his legs (As soon as his back was turned I walked in to the school and got my daughter , climbed back in the car, made sure she was strapped in safely and pulled back out and got ready to drive off whilst the rest of them proceeded to go through much more huffing and puffing)

Why do we need City Community Protection Officers when we have Police Community Support Officers?

I did not know there was another such animal?

IMO, With severe Police cut backs, just watch the PCSO disappear!

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...