Lenton station and its level crossing

RE: New Holland, check out "Daves rail pics" on the internet, plenty of pics on there of the ferry paddle steamers,

Rog

Going off at a tangent on this thread, visits to Cleethorpes in the late 1950s/early 1960s weren't complete without a trip on one of the paddle steamers. As well as their use on the ferry service to Hull, at that time at any rate they were also used to give pleasure trips from Grimsby. I can't remember how long the 'voyage' lasted - only an hour or two at most I'm sure - but they just went out on the estuary almost as far as Spurn Point and back again.

I think they were still coal-fired, and it was great to look down into the engine room and see the machinery. There were also small windows which allowed you to look into the paddle boxes and see the paddles churning round. Most of the time was spent on deck (it was always fine weather in those days!) but there was usually a venture down into the saloon for a lemonade.

I only ever remember 'Wingfield Castle' and 'Tattershall Castle' on those trips, but I think 'Lincoln Castle' survived longest on the ferry service - I remember going on it in 1976, which I think was the only time I went on the ferry itself.

I know one of them (always forget which) is moored on the Thames in London and the other is also preserved, but 'Lincoln Castle' was later broken up.

Re level crossings on the G.C. There were none on the London Extension (Annesley to Marylebone) . There was one on the main line just south of Sheffield at Beighton. I agree that there must be many on the G.C system, especially as many of the lines were built by companies such as The Hull & Barnsley Railway, The Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway and the Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway which were all incorporated into the Great Central at the grouping in 1923. So yes, I presume there were many on the whole system. It must be remembered that the GC covered large parts of North Notts, North East Derbyshire, North Lincs, South Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cheshire and The Wirral. However, the stretch from Sheffield to Marylebone was always my favourite .

HS2, too late, we had one years ago but no one with any foresight realised it and utilised its potential. Too much greed, bad management, self indulgence, incompetence, lack of investment, but most of all old regional rivalries put paid to a great bit of railway. So sad.

Take your point re rivalries etc but think locally "the powers that be" sort a quick money saving scheme? it obviously being cheaper to maintain a flat railway than the former GCR or GNR? in other parts of the country The GCR remained and can be seen running along side the M1 Daventry area I believe?

No idea if the following would have been feasible or cost effective long term but imagine if Victoria had been saved as opposed th The Midland? there was a north/south route in place plus one to the east of course and no doubt the Derby line could have been swung round given the demolition that took place in The Meadows? I am of course day dreaming but had the thought come about early enough there was the possibility of reconnecting The NSR as a circular route via the GNR west of Daybrook and rejoining The GCR heading south back to Victoria. (Now going to lock front door and keep an eye out for men in white coats coming! lol

• Upvote 1

Re level crossings on the G.C. There were none on the London Extension (Annesley to Marylebone) . There was one on the main line just south of Sheffield at Beighton. I agree that there must be many on the G.C system, especially as many of the lines were built by companies such as The Hull & Barnsley Railway, The Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway and the Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway which were all incorporated into the Great Central at the grouping in 1923.

The Hull & Barnsley was actually taken over by the North Eastern Railway just before the grouping and was never part of the Great Central.

The Great Central Railway was the Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway. The company just changed its name in about 1897 when it built the London extension. The LD&ECR was taken over by the GCR in 1907. The GCR became part of the LNER in 1923.

The LD&ECR never cot anywhere near Lancashire or the East Coast. It ran from Chesterfield to just north of Lincoln.

Re # 29 , quite right, Merthyr imp, I must check my facts before posting instead of relying on an ever fading memory.

Bulwell Brian! LD&ECR. My favourite railway. I have a fascination for that railway which had a long name but never reached any of the termini in its title. There is/was so much infrastructure like tunnels, viaducts etc. My grand-daughter and I have walked much of it. We walked from Langwith to Scarcliffe before we realised it was private land. We explored thoroughly the site of Langwith Junction/Shirebrook station. Photographed every bridge from Warsop Junction to Thoresby Colliery. Walked the derelict line from Ollerton to Marnham and Fledborough before it was turned back into a test track. Photographed all the dereliction. Also walked from Fledborough Viaduct to South Clifton and visited Harby sta.

Then there is the LD&ECR from Langwith Junction to Beighton via Clowne, Spinkhill and Killamarsh. We have walked the first mile from Langwith Junction but still have the rest of the 'Clog and Knocker' as it was called by train crew, to walk.

I have walked as much of the Mansfield Railway (another GCR take over) as possible.

• Upvote 1

The LD&ECR came into it's own after ww1 when the new deep collieries were sunk.

My local garage has a clock inscribed LD&ECR but it is a reproduction.

It was indeed an interesting railway, all its locos were tank engines, 0-6-0T, 0-6-2T, 0-4-4T and 0-6-4T. They all lasted to the LNER and a few came to BR.

BBrian.