Right place right time

I was waiting to pick my kids up from school yesterday afternoon and I was taking pictures of things flying overhead (As it was bright sunshine and the sky was like a "super highway" with planes) Any way as I took a photo of a "Ryan Air" plane on it's way from Dublin to the continent I noticed a bit of a strange site "Falling" away from the plane.

I contacted the CAA and sent them some of the pics, as I was rather concened at the time, but I'm still waiting to hear back!!

5375765528_b94c4383d8_b.jpg

5375767552_93c1597e63_b.jpg

Heavily enhaced

5375168569_0f84e06e16_b.jpg

5375159545_5b46d469e9_b.jpg

We've had some discusion on a Civilian aviation website that I go on and nobody can explain it either ("It's not ice" is the concensus of opinion though, as it seems to have been 'ejected' away from the plane rather than "Fell off" as this would have trailed behind and "followed" the plane for a bit and then not 'Spiralled' down as this did

I thought somebody had nipped out for a fag !!

Seriously, it's worrying in so much that the CAA haven't had the decency to get back to me , to put my mind at rest, 24 hours after the event!!!

It could be ice - if it came from the "lav overflow" it would initially stay in the slipstream, but then it's mass would cause it to fall - the spiraling effect would happen when the chunk fell into the wake turbulence from the plane which forms spirals from each wingtip. If it is an Airbus, or a newer Boeing, they are notorious for wake turbulence and considered "heavy" by ATC for wake avoidance!

Wake turbulence, or "wingtip vortices" are generated at the wingtips and then descend at about 500ft/min. and get slowly bigger in diameter until they dissipate but they can hang around for several thousand feet in calm air! They can be lethal to small airplanes and give a bumpy ride to big ones! If you listen to a tower frequency at a large airport, and they have a relatively small airplane following an airbus out, you will often hear the warning "beware, wake turbulence" given to the smaller aircraft along with the "clear for takeoff" instructions.

I too made that mistake Eric , but if you look at the ' objects' trail , it goes away from the plane , not, (If it had come from the plane) 'with ' it!! IE it looks to have been thrown backwards faster than the plane is traveling forwards.

Looks as though it could be a panel judging by its independent path and probably from an unpressurized baggage hold. The aircraft would have come down quick had it been a door.

I too made that mistake Eric , but if you look at the ' objects' trail , it goes away from the plane , not, (If it had come from the plane) 'with ' it!! IE it looks to have been thrown backwards faster than the plane is traveling forwards.

Not sure how you figure that Beefy - the trail follows the contrail for a short while, then begins to fall. Also the wind must be taken into account, but an object ejected forcefully would be difficult to discriminate from an object that fell off without a lot of photos taken in the second or two after it was ejected. Remember that an object falling off would initially be travelling the same speed as the aircraft. Also, it leaves a vapour trail - which means it has moisture associated with it - either the product of combustion, or the object itself. I'm still betting on either ice, or a water discharge (which would immediately freeze at that altitude.

If it had just "fallen off" the plane Eric , it's trajectory would be something like this.

>>>>>>> being the direction of the aircraft and following the vapour trail.

> then falling

> away before

> picking up it's

V downwards

V velocity

V

Etc

But this one is 'fired' away from the plane like this

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< direction of plane being >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<

<

<

<

V

V

ie ejected back along the vapour tail (The plane is going left to right!! it would be a lot easier to explain if it were going right to left!!). If it were to have just dropped off it would be the same as in the first diagramme .

This rotten system .!!!

I just took ages typing out the arrows to show the trajectory , post it , and the bloody system ignores all my commands and puts it into a proper order!!!

I'll draw it and post what I mean tomorrow (Bed time now!!)

I see what you mean, but I wonder if it was propelled backwards by the jet exhaust - it seems to be in the contrail until it slows enough for gravity to take over. Hard to believe a metal part would create a trail like that.

I've finally had a reply from the CAA !! I got a phone call around lunchtime.

Him..."You've got a good camera there"

Me .."Yes , it's a Canon 40D with a Canon 100-400 usm IS lens attatched.

Him.." After we've all looked at your pictures none of us have seen anything like it before, and therefore cannot come to a conclusion"

Me.. "Good job we didn't here a big bang on Friday then!!"

Damn - I thought they would at least hazard a guess!

Rightyo, a rough sketch as promised (Been a bit busy today!

A.) Shows the trajectory if something had fallen off, like ice, it would follow the plane along slightly, then drop more or less vertically.

B.) Shows what it actually did, it went back along the vapour trail as if ejected, then spirals down. I'm not ruling out ice falling over an exhaust port and thus being thrown backwards at a rate of knots before falling away.

5385046965_a5385e7096_b.jpg

Sorry missed this.

The CAA should have contacted them !!

I did furnish them with full details (IE flying west to east, over mid Cheshire, 3.13 pm , etc,looks like it could be from Dublin enroute to the continent etc) but it did no good.

By "I did furnish them with full details" do you mean the airline, or the CAA? If you didn't, I would email Ryanair directly with the pictures and timing and see if they come back with anything.

I have had good luck contacting the airlines in the US with questions. However, the replies are rarely very prompt!

Trouble is I'm being a bit mercenary here, I want payment for a scoop like this , and I know full well that if I send them to a "Big "company they'll find a way of lifting them and offering no remitance!!..........LOL