Does anyone know of any accidents happening on the railway lines that used to run through where Britannia Avenue and Fenton Road Basford is now.

It may sound daft but a friend lives on Britannia where the railway was and "sees things" in the house and I was wondering if anyone knows of anything that may have happened long ago

as regards "accidents" in the area assume we are talking ghosts? know a demo man fell off valley rd bridge the night of it's removal and was killed, also 1950's a lad trying to cross Arnold Rd on underside of the bridge, one foot on each of the 2 spans, fell but not sure if killed

Rather surprising that there wasn't a High Pavement casualty list, as many of the scholars - muggins included - would often do the 'Rathole Run' (through the tunnel, and return!) whilst waiting for the teatime 'fast fish' on the GC above...

Once missed a rare Botanic Gardens B1 on the working, by being involved in such a stunt!

Cheers

Robt P.

• 2 weeks later...

Not where described, but the railway crashes I remember seeing in the Notts area, though not as they happened, were the coal train derailment at Stanton Gate which left a trail of smashed coal wagons alongside the Erewash Canal which hung around for a while ( pulled by an 8F? ) and the accident at Lenton Junction with the trains piled precariously up in the air when I recall a driver was unfortunately killed, any confirmation of that.

Thanks for that, I went to Lenton Lane Bridge that morning and took some photos, a sobering thought that the poor blokes killed were still in the wreckage. I mentioned a while ago the crash at Trowell Junction that was nearly used as an excuse to close the line to Nottingham via Wollaton in the 80's, I've since found some great photos taken by my dad of the incident, though they seem to have found their way over to my brothers house at Denby.

Slightly changing the subject, again, I was driving over the A52 Toton bridge on my way back on Sunday from mum's home at Chilwell and noticed the huge number of locos stored at Toton Depot, they seemed to be everywhere, are they mothballed or still in use?

According to the drivers of the locos, at Toton, they are all stood due to lack of work. Some of them are in corporate logos, but most are in E.W.S colours, even though they were bought out by a German company. It is now D.B. Schenker. Another British company gone.

According to the drivers of the locos, at Toton, they are all stood due to lack of work. Some of them are in corporate logos, but most are in E.W.S colours, even though they were bought out by a German company. It is now D.B. Schenker. Another British company gone.

Not quite a British company, EWS was the trading name of a company owned by Wisconsin Central, I think, the red and gold livery is cetainly theirs. It ceased to be 'British' when the three freight pseudo companies, Transrail, Mainline and Loadhaul were all bought together with Rail Express Sytems, the parcels pseudo company from the government at privatisation.

Several of the class 60s at Toton have suffered major engine failures, said to be brought on by lack of proper maintenance. If being repainted is indicative (sometimes) of a major overhaul, some of them have never been repainted from new, around 20 years ago!!

A good number of the newer Canadian built class 66s are either in use or being prepared for use in Europe. Much of the older stuff will be sold on, mostly to the scrap man, but some going for preservation or further use in a few cases.

We should also remember that while it is apparently not 'proper' that the railways should be owned by the British government ie; nationalised, it's OK for DB the German state rail company to own a large chunk of OUR railway companies, not just the freight companies, but they have also recently bought Arriva who, apart from the buses, hold the Cross Country, Welsh and Chiltern Lines rail franchises.

Talking of Toton, I was invited on to the sidings in the 1980s by a contact on BTP.

Took photographs of the Sir Nigel Gresley close up.

Where are the negs/photos?

I havent a clue