My hard-drive has buggered off

My computer has 4 hard drives connected to it...2 inside the case and 2 USB external drives....The drives inside are an IDE drive ( the 'c' drive with all of windows etc on it ) and a SATA drive ( the 'd' drive )....about an hour ago i noticed the 'D' drive has vanished...boot up is doing a few weird things too in the fact it is stopping on certain pages way too long and making boot up rather slow...but it works ok....everything else is working ok...I did a full virus scan yesterday because ive been sending out some 'no-subject' emails...and that seemed to do a decent job...i still seem to be sending out these emails which is annoying....ive tried to use system restore to go back a couple of days and also a week but it says it wont let me.

it says the SATA drivers are working fine.

Any ideas before i go inside the case.

Sounds like the SATA H/D has died Kev. What does it show in Bios?? Does it recognize it?? Does it show in "My Computer"??

Kev I am trying to remember the Recovery utility I used to recue a master disk on the old laptop.

The boot sector is probably corrupted likemine was.

Busy at moment Try Google for Corrupted boot sector or disk recovery utility.

Could also be a faulty "SATA card" if nothing recognizes the drive! Could also be a "set up" problem too due to some glitch.

Mick, even if the drive had corrupted software, both the computer and the Bios should "see" the drive.

Kev, I know you only have the one computer, do you know anyone who would let you test the SATA drive in their machine??? That would be one way of eliminating your Motherboard built in SATA card.

no john...we dont know anyone who could do that for us.....everything else is ok at the mo...so it'll have to get mulled over for a bit...take everyones advise into consideration....try the ideas given and then...into the case i go....so all input welcomed....by the way im on XP.

OK....todays update....seems it hadnt buggered off it had a holiday....instead of re-booting like i do every morning...i switched it off ( totally ) then back on after a couple o mins...boot still seemed to have a few long slow bits in it...but the drive is back with his friends......maybe the SATA drivers dont fully re-boot if you dont power down....dunno....just good to have it back.