Oh yes.My late mammy was born and raised in Hucknall just around the corner from St. Mary Magdalene Church in the market place and would often refer to the town as Hucknall Torkard. She loved the place dearly.

Born and bred in Arnold and I never heard the name "Torkard" before. It's amazing how easy it is to miss a part of history on your very doorstep. thanks gang.

It's only since a post on here a couple of years back that I realized it was "Torkard" Ever since I've seen it crop up in all sorts of places, particularly concerning Lord Byron as I think (IMMSC) there's another Hucknall nearer Newstead Abbey. (Or it may be a 'lost' village)

Then again I may have just imagined it all !!

Notts rhyming slang?

"He's Hucknall Torkard" - An awkward person to deal with.

Another name I heard called of such a person, "Snaggle tooth"

It's only since a post on here a couple of years back that I realized it was "Torkard" Ever since I've seen it crop up in all sorts of places, particularly concerning Lord Byron as I think (IMMSC) there's another Hucknall nearer Newstead Abbey. (Or it may be a 'lost' village)

Then again I may have just imagined it all !!

Think you did Beef. Hucknall is only a few miles from Newstead Abbey, Lord Byron is buried in a vault in St marys church on Hucknall market place, and there are numerous references to Byron here, ie Byron Street, Byron Cinema etc

There is somewhere called 'Ault Hucknall'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ault_Hucknall

but its in D***shire

I seem to remember a mine called New Hucknall near Huthwaite on the North Notts/Derbys border(ish) area.

Dont Mention Ault Hucknall to me.

I went there once a couple of winters ago when it snowed.

The main roads were gritted but the satnav took me through the village and I ended up on a steep narrow ungritted road through some woods. As I coasted down the hill I came up against a Ford capri coming up the hill and we both stopped.

The driver said it was too dangerous to go the other way and we were both now stuck.

I ended up digging soil from the side of the road and gritting the whole hill myself, to get back to the top.

I always wondered where the destination 'Doe Lea' is (which is sometime on the front of my TrentBarton bus which goes from the city and through Redhill on to Mansfield/Chesterfield. Now I know!