Looking for stone ball help (OT)

Off topic but I need help, please. I found this stone ball some years ago but for the life of me I cannot remember where. It measures 1½ inches diameter and appears to be granite. I thought it might be a Scottish Neolithic carved stone ball but I can see no carved 'knobs'. An alternative could be a stone round shot for a smooth bore canon. Any ideas welcome.....

IMG_2790.JPG

As I said above - I cannot for the life of me remember where I found it. there are a couple of possibilities though:

1. Anglezarke, Lancashire.

2. Orkney Isles.

Not sure but I don't think there are granites in either region.

Beefsteak: Do you mean it's too light for a cannon ball or it looks like a canon ball for a small (light) cannon?

There was a light cannon that was very small and portable usually carried by a four man team, two with the cannon and stand itself, one with powder and fuses and one with some balls, (He'd need 'em to fire those things !) They were primarily used to blow holes in the gates of castles etc

Thanks for that gen, I had thought that the smaller balls might have been used 'En Masse' like shrapnel.

It does help - thank you for that link. I have had a reply from the munitions expert on the Mary Rose. He thinks it is a slingshot, saying that it isn't finished correctly for a shrapnel type cannon shot. Your link verifies the weight is too small to be cannon shot. i have been given a contact in the field of ancient munitions so I am following it up.

Thanks again.