Nostalgic age.

\snip\ The smell of newly laid tar and picking at it with a stick - for want of something better to do!

I used to play with the melting tar during the hot summer months. A finger print neatly pressed into the stuff was always a pleasure. If it was really hot one could poke at it and roll it onto the end of a stick and with a stolen match set fire to it.

We weren't all that bad. We would never do anything that would put others or their property at risk. We had boundaries and limits in those days.

An accurate picture of me Mick! I first gained the name at Plessey, Beeston in 1974 when the 'Last of the Summer Wine' was in its second series. Compo (Bill Owen) was known as Compo Simmonite (note my surname) and was scruffy. I used to ride my motorbike to work dressed in an old parka (see Nostalgic age photos thread) and wellies. At lunch time I donned my off-white woolly hat and walked for miles around Attenborough Gravels and up the Trent. I was never comfortable in a suit and to this day the only way I will dispose of my old clothes is when SWMBO throws them out. Compo I was and Compo I still is.

thumbsup

• 2 years later...

Think we learned the value of money in our youth and that it had to be earned because our parents didn't have a lot.

1£ for a mornings potato picking or 1£/10s for a days beet banging, mind you could do a lot more with it back then.

This is very true. :)