Miles off topic but:

Miles off topic but someone asked about the landscape and weather her ein Caithness. I hope no-one minds but I thought I'd post a few pictures. My photos are no match for Beefsteak's quality-wise but here goes anyway.

Croft house at Yarrows:

2006_0820Image0011.JPG?gl=GB

Thurso River in winter

009.JPG?gl=GB

Former platform

IMG_0196.JPG?gl=GB

The moors

IMG_2725.JPG?gl=GB

Open ground in the Flow country

IMG_2720.JPG?gl=GB

One of many small lochs

Imported%2520Photos%252000165.jpg?gl=GB

The 'park' garden

018.JPG?gl=GB

Looking up the garden towards Wick and the sea

Rooftop%2520view%2520of%2520east%2520garden-2.JPG?gl=GB

Cloud over Watten Village and Loch Watten

IMG_1792.jpg?gl=GB

A walk to Morven

005-1.jpg?gl=GB

Dunnet Bay

023.jpg?gl=GB

Keiss Beach

016.jpg?gl=GB

Wick in winter

014.jpg?gl=GB

Scots pine

085.jpg?gl=GB

Conival

090.jpg?gl=GB

The Wick coastline

IMG_3390.JPG?gl=GB

Oldwick Viking castle

IMG_3396.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

Stu:

This is what it currently looks like. It is now being renovated and should be open sometime this year(ish).

037.JPG

Lovely pics, you are lucky to live in such surroundings.

Perhaps not for much longer. Had a note from the planning department this morning. Yet another windfarm has been approved - there will soon be no landscape left to view at this rate.

Sorry Compo, my memory is obviously letting me down. I had thought when recollecting my brief visit there some years ago there was a small crossing over there somewhere. Obviously not.

great picks compo one day i am goingto get to scottland to do my family historie stuff i want to do but its got to be parish records now as pree 1920s info i need need to visit glasgow and lanarkshire area but hope to combine it with some sight seeing and go up a little further might just manage it this year if things go well and my health problems stay stayble.

P&B If your trip takes you this way please feel free to drop in - let us know a few days in advance though.

Stu,

There are three ferries from Mainland to the Orkney Isles. The biggest is the Hamnavoe from Scrabster to Stromness; next in size is the new Cat ferry from Gills Bay to St Margaret's Hope on South Ronaldsay (linked to mainland Orkney by road), both are all year round ferries. Neither of these will allow you to see the JOG Hotel. The third is seasonal and locally called the short sea ferry; this goes from John O'Groats to Burwick at the southern tip of the Orkney Isles and connects to Kirwall by bus. This ferry terminates at John O'Groats close to the hotel. It is ideal for the one day guided tours of Orkney Mainland and Archaeology.

Maybe the latter is what I remember Compo. Ta for the info.

Have a little bit of family history up that way as dad used to work on Scapa Flow as a young lad, before my time.

I used to go fishing in Scapa flow in my neighbour's boat. Fished over the battleship Royal Oak one day but caught nowt. Was your dad in the Navy and stationed on Hoy at Lyness?

A few more views:

Summer clouds taken from the garden

clouds.JPG

In amongst the conglomerate tors on top of Smean

DSCF1443.JPG

Mid-summer clover in the garden

001%2520-%2520Copy.JPG

Mountain pack horse used for bringing deer off the mountains in stalking season.

DSCF1459.JPG

Garden pampas (I know- the grass needs cutting)

DSCF1449.JPG

Heather moorland on the Caithness/Sutherland border

DSCF1450.JPG

An Adder on the grassy slopes of Ben Alisky (Can you see it?) I nearly stepped on it!

Onions%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Wick Harbour Day featuring an old Herring Drifter.

Picture%2520016.jpg

More soon..... imsorry

Emulsion painting the utility room for the next couple of hours.

As SWMBO says:

abouttime