Hiya from Newbie ex Broxtowe/Woodfield road 1967 to late 1980's

Hi everyone,

I live in Bakewell now but have travelled a lot since the 80's, still remember loads of people from Woodfield road, Beckley rd, Alwyn rd, etc..etc.. went to Player Grammar/Bilateral, worked at Bilborough College for 6/7 years...Dad had lorries and he also had a scrap yard in town, quite a lot of the neighbours worked for him at some time or other driving and in his yard...John Gilbert (My Dad) died in 2001.

Cheers for now...

Welcome Gilly. I didn't live in Broxtowe but pretty close, on the Bells Lane Estate. Bakewell is a lovely little town [from memories 40 odd year ago!]

welcome to the mad house gilly no we not all mad really were a nice bunch but sometimes threads can be hard to understand as a new commer some of us have a weird sence of hummor that can be taken wrongly until you get to know we are only having a joke but dont realy mean any harm

No sweat ...coming from Broxtowe I have a thick skin...don't expect to jump in and be surrounded by cotton wool...thought i had a few hours to spare yesterday to get to know folks on here but got a call out 20 minutes after i signed up...I was born in Lenton and moved to Broxtowe when I was 7...can't say I've been a good boy all my life but i have been I've always been one of the lads and loyal to my mates etc....just tell it how it is...

oh were abouts in lenton lived there for 17 years my husband was born there and lived there for the first 40 years of his life.

Harley Street Lenton, only up to 1967 though when we moved to Woodfield road. My Dad worked for Tommy Danks at the time. I remember my Mother having to go to the wash-house to do the laundry with my Gran and a few of her friends...it was like a womens day out....LOL...sorry ladies...just so we clear...I'm not racist, sexist, religious, ageist, definitely not fattist...lol...just 53 and a straight talker...no religious belief...several vices which don't included drugs of any kind or anything nasty...that's it...Just kinda miss the old days a bit and hope to get to chat to like-minded folks like you with no airs and graces ....

Just so I know folks...am I doing this right or do I have to reply to everyone separately?

I am from Carlton hence my name, was in Bakewell about two weeks ago took a walk by the river, got some lovely old fashioned shops there too havent you there is a lovely museum which was free to go in really old building, if only the walls could talk

Weird...I worked in Carlton for a year or two...Carlton road Garage down at the bottom of the hill...is it still there? I used to nip across the road to the Cob Shop and get me snap each lunchtime...Bakewell is Grand...just full of tourists though...gets a bit wearing sometimes specially when you aren't earning from the tourism, just living locally...I actually live in a small village just outside Bakewell but Bakewell is the local shopping place etc. although we have an old style 'village shop' which sells just about everything, its just like 'open all hours' if you ask for it today and they don't have it, ask again tomorrow and they do...it's great living out here though I will post a couple of pics I have taken over the last year or two...if walls could talk we'd most of us be in a whole heap of trouble I suspect...lol

I bet bet you had your Haircut by my (ex) sister in law, Steph on Carlton Road?

And mid 90s that cob shop next door used to sell great breakfast cobs for a quid.

hi gilly i know harley st well and the wash house but i did not move to live in lenton on priory st near white hart pub untill my marrage in 1972 was house was still going untill the 1980s and as well as getting your washing done it still had a great community met many an old lady in there who did not want it to go as although they by that time had washers used to enjoy comming out to meetthere friends at the wash house got them comming to over 69s at communitee centre next door so they could still meet up and chat and no washing to do an all. as for like minded straight talking down to earth people youll find plenty of them on hear.once you get used to it often in bakewell and surounding area when we come out for a drlve

All the little shops have gone now going down Carlton hill to the bottom just one big ugly Tesco didnt reconise the place but thats progress for you

Jackson, thanks for the welcome...thanks everyone for the welcome actually...The magazine is about the village where I live, it advertises local businesses and lets everyone know what's going on in and around our parish. Just a local newspaper really...16 pages...what's on, and Crossword Sudoku etc...I host a website for the paper actually but I am just getting into the Web side of IT so don't expect too much...I am Qualified in IT but Just an amateur on the website. I'll throw a link in if I can find out how....how do we get pictures on? I have tried and failed...URL and custom picture...any clues?

Mick2me

Not sure about the haircut...maybe once or twice....as for the cob shop I particularly liked their Tuna Mayo.....MMMMM....

Piggy and Babs...

The bit of Harley street where I lived (No 66) from birth has gone now and a hoofing great factory is in its place, we moved out of that house...wait for it....because it was haunted....half of the street was pulled down on our side of the road....we were in the evening post in 1967 front page I think....

My mum used to meet up with her mates, my gran's and their mates and all of her sisters at the wash house...like you say it was a community thing....sad when these things have to go but it is progress..(Apparently)....I used to come out here for a drive on sunny weekends myself then I forgot to leave one day and here I am...who knows we may get together sometime later on for a beer....maybe a re-union meeting in the future...(now there's an excuse!)

carltongal

Yes it is the same everywhere, little bits of this place seem to disappear and be replaced with something subtly different, three weeks or so ago our little petrol station in Bakewell was taken over by the Co-Op....what a shame....it looks naff now with a smacking great co-op sign outside....never mind...there are some restrictions on change out here though so it has to be really subtle usually...

I lived on Alwyn Road End, No 202...George McGarry on one side and Barry Wing on the other, Dick and Phylis Wilson and Josey Walsh Lived opposite along with Starbucks, Lowndes's and Bet Lunt.

Hi you will remember me then...lived opposite you in between Josey and her mum ...i had all the bikes and trikes in the garden...I painted your dads Transit van with all the pictures all over it.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the site, Gilly. I had to smile when you stated that you were having problems getting your photos on. I also had problems and would have a row of posts that said 'error' as my attempts failed. In the end my youngest son sorted it for me. I've not been on the site for long so I'm still reading the hundreds of old posts. I'll catch up one day....lol

Hi,

I think you were probably after my time on Woodfield, When I left, Josey Walsh was still at home and Starbruck's were next door to them directly opposite my Dads house, I remember the pics of the Moon and space shuttle stuff on his Van though pretty cool....I figured out how to include my photo but not how to add them to the blog...so I'll keep working on that....and me a qualified techie too...LOL

I bet you were a big CB'er too then Fynger....I may know you by your handle...not Lobsterpot was it?