S'pose ad better say summat abaht mysen

Born 1949 Pateley Road, called Woodthorpe to avoid calling it Mapperley. Parents sold up in 1950 (I guess my arrival interfered with their ability to pay the mortgage!) and we moved in with my grandma in a prefab on Aslockton Drive, Aspley until 1954, when we all moved to Roosevelt Avenue, Long Eaton.

Dad was born 1916 in the Meadows. His parents ran a sweet shop on Bathley Street. He went to Trent Bridge Boys School. Family moved to Fernleigh Avenue off Westdale Lane in late 1920s, then to a new "upside down" house on Pilkington Road, Mapperley in the 1930s. His father came from Burnley. His mother was a Meadows girl - Glapton Road in 1901, Beauvale Road at the time of their marriage in 1915.

Mum was born 1920 at Station Road, now Kildare Road. They moved about a lot since her dad was a driver with Buxton & Attewell, and got to know all the rented houses coming up - Turney Street, Kirk White Street, Kinglake Street, Colwick Road, Hawton Crescent (Wollaton Park) and Langdale Road (Sneinton Dale). Went to Mundella. Her dad came from St Anns - born Franchise Terrace, Westminster Street. Her mum was born South Elmsall, Yorks (came from a railway family and was moved about quite a lot). Lived at various houses on Dame Agnes Street, later Parkin Street, Alfreton.

I worked for British Rail Engineering at Derby for 35 years (You know the gag? How many work at Derby Carriage Works? - About half of them - boom, boom). Took early retirement in 2003 (after commuting daily from Lincolnshire for 15 years) and settled here in South Devon as minister of a small baptist church.

Married 30 years (Basford girl) two splendid grown-up kids.

Interests : trains, buses, travel, family genealogy, and nostalgia (which isn't what it used to be).

O.K. - Where did you go to school in Long Eaton? I probably know you!

Well the gremlins are at work again. As soon as Stephen posted I was the first to reply, but it ain't there anymore! I had said what a great introduction he gave. Welcome Stephen.

Then we certainly crossed paths - I was at LEGS 1966 to 1970. I grew up on Douglas Road - we moved there from Arnold in 1958 so I went to Derby Road infants, then Longmoor, Wilsthorpe and LEGS.

Stephen - yes I do - and have been to a few reunions with old LEGS pupils - typically in Ockbrook. It looks like we missed each other at school by one summer. I moved to LEGS from Wilsthorpe, so I started in the 4th form - 4O to be precise.