In the late 70s I bought an inflatable boat with boarded floor to use for sea fishing. It struck me that it would be a good idea to use the boat locally too. After registering the boat with the river authority and applying a name to the bows "Moya Kanite" we set off to explore. The Beeston canal was just yards from our front door so the canal it was!

Family aboard we set off towards Beeston and had many happy evenings sailing up and down the canal. After a pint or three it was not always easy to navigate back from Wilford Road lock - despite it being a relatively straight cut with only a few moorings. One evening we struck an obstacle just below the surface near Beeston lock. So the following day myself and a few others from Plessey made grappling hooks and went off down the canal in our lunchtime to see what was lurking. We pulled out a bedstead, a supermarket trolley and numerous bits of scrap iron! Over the next few weeks we frequented the canal side with our hooks, trawling for treasure and by the time we were bored with it all the banks were lined with junk, including bicycle wheels, the remains of a pram and a mattress!

The funniest boating episode was when I took a couple of fellow workers from Plessey, Beeston to Rhyl for a sea fishing trip. Upon our return to shore, one of the lads decided to walk back. We were over a sand bar and he looked into the water and said "It's only three inches deep, I'm walking, it will be quicker." With that he stepped out of the boat onto the sand bar. He took two steps and sank up to his thighs as he stepped over the bar into deeper water. Roaring with laughter we hauled him back inboard and got him to shore to dry out. From that day onward he was known mercilessly as "The Wader".

I suppose the canal has changed now. I know a marina has been built on Castle Boulevard and I expect that the water is now cleaner than the murk that used to ooze along the canal like a living sludge.

Compo lad, is there no end to your exploits both within these shores & beyond, to me at least you're becoming a bit of a legend....................in your own lunchtime............... slywink

I suppose the canal has changed now. I know a marina has been built on Castle Boulevard and I expect that the water is now cleaner than the murk that used to ooze along the canal like a living sludge.

The canal is quite civilised and busy now, especially around the Marina area where there are quite a lot of housing/apartment developments. I lived in that area for a while so here's a few photos for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen the place recently........

canal1.jpg

The Marina itself, from the road bridge

canal7.jpg

Narrow boats moored near the Marina bridge

canal2.jpg

View from where I lived, towards Nottingham. The road beyond the canal is Castle Boulevard (and spot the Castle on the horizon - right)

canal6.jpg

The canal and towpath towards Nottingham; Wilford Road lock round the distant bend

canal3.jpg

Looking towards Lenton, with Castle Boulevard beyond the canal

So it's no longer an open sewer - ah, the good old days.