Chinooks over netherfield

Before I moved out of my parents house in Gedling, every now and then a chinook would fly on over.

Since i moved to netherfield, it seems like a very regular thing, at least one flies over a week, quite low, I do love them though, I love the sound & what they look like so I enjoy rushing out to watch them fly over. But can anyone tell me why there's so many that go over here? Seen a couple of tanks on the loop road too on different occasions either heading towards burton Joyce or from.

they often fly over this area too i have a fasination for helicopters and you often see them near the 610 road as we head to derbyshire as well as the police helicopters and the yellow air ambulance. i always say when i see the police one here comes the helicoppers.much to the amusement of some of our friends who think i say it by mistake.

I remember gong down to wales a couple of years back, driving down the motorway & there was two military helicopters, i assume thats what they were, they were jet black & quite evil looking, they where ever so low! At first i did a little poo because of how low they were on the motorway.. Couple of seconds later i found myself totaly fixated untill they turned off and flew in another direction, i never found out what they where, there was two of them. & that might of been the same ones that came over my house Phil

The Armed Forces call them "Wokkas" after the noise they make. When I lived in the Falklands there were several Wokkas being used to dismantle the Army lines, removing them to the new airfield at Mount Pleasant. i lived just above Stanley Harbour, an inlet about seven miles long. Wokkas often used to fly at zero feet along the water past my house and I could look down onto them. Similarly the RAF Phantoms and Hercules also flew below the house.

I still use the term "Bennies" when I refer to the people who bought a local farm and turned it into a civil engineering yard - the are forever burning old rubbish and have bright lights shining all night.

When I was there the term "Bennies" was banned so the Army began to use the term "Stillies" as in still Bennies.

Incidentally, the Bennies used to call us "When I's"

Somebody say Wokka ??!!

7391158470_3e6b162235_b.jpg

7391158184_83237b01e1_b.jpg

7391159026_90f353fb25_b.jpg

7391158826_6ddcfdd684_b.jpg

Taken at RIAT last year, (only 3 weeks to go till this years !!)

• Upvote 2

Nice pics beef, there's the RAF air show on the 30th, you going? Thinking about going myself, haven't been to an air show in years!

I really enjoy looking at Beefsteak's photos on Nottstalgia. I love seeing aircraft in the sky but his close-up photos show all the detail and power of the different types. One of my favourite planes is the Harrier Jump Jet. I was wondering what that 'tank' was above the chaps head in the last photo.

Yes that's the hoist for raising and lowering personel

I'm not going to Waddington show this year (First one we've missed for 4 years) as I have other comitments that weekend, I may go over to "The WAVE" for departures on Monday, but even that's 'up in the air' at the moment.

It should be a good show, with the first UK European display by the ROKA display team (Koreans) and a E-3 Sentry doing a full display instead of their usual fly through.

Not going to the airshow myself this year but might pedal my bike or trike up the hill and watch from the roadside, failing that I will just sit in my garden and watch them stacking up over my bungalow waiting for their turn to display

Rog