Avro Vulcan prototype

I have seen a full squadron of Vulcans scrambled although it was only a simulated attack on the UK .14 of the beautys took off together from Waddington air display circa 1975/6 ,and the noise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"..there's often an unannounced Spitfire fly around over our place here in Ilkeston during the summertime, always a splendid sight to see.." A Spitfire that quite often turns up locally - usually mid

Posted Images

Saw Dave Thomas lift the Vulcan off the floor at Bruntingthorpe yesterday, wonderful sight...very emotional day, despite the presence of the obnoxious media pack...grown men cried.

I understand that she is to go to Waddington after Test Flight 2, as Flight 3 is to be conducted from there.

Cheers

Robt P.

Oct 13th edition of Bygones came yesterday. It's one of their Specials, all about the great industries of Nottingham past and present. There's a 6 page article on the history of Rolls Royce if anyone is interested. I'm particularly proud of it, cos my brother is the author of it.

• 5 months later...

I wasn't at the Colliery, but at the No 6 Area HQ Offices lower down Moor Road...

Nevertheless, I do vaguely recall [50 years back, remember!] your Dad's name, "up at the pit"

Cheers

Robt P.

Saw Dave Thomas lift the Vulcan off the floor at Bruntingthorpe yesterday, wonderful sight...very emotional day, despite the presence of the obnoxious media pack...grown men cried. I understand that she is to go to Waddington after Test Flight 2, as Flight 3 is to be conducted from there.

Yet more financial problems in the Vulcan camp apparently...

The preservation society always gives the impression of having 'too few chief's and not enough Indians' and an executive of London £1,000 Savile Row suit types.

http://www.tvoc.co.uk

I hear they have been asking for many £thousands 'up front' for 2008 air show display bookings.

Seemingly, without much success...

Cheers

Robt P.

Bloody shame that Rob , I was hoping to get over to Waddington for this years display or down to the RIAT at Fairford,and that would have been the highlight for me (Unless they could get a Lightning to do a fly past with an F22 Raptor)

Don't despair Ian...

Seemingly several bookings have been made, it's just that show organisers are, understandably, declining to pay up in advance. I'd reckon that, of all the show's, both Waddington & Fairford are more certain than most...

The usual circular display will be flatter, and less dramatic, if flown by S/L Dave Thomas...as is likely.

S/L Paul Millikin - who threw it all around the sky, together with the deafening noise - is not in the new display team.

Cheers

Robt P.

Oh good oh .Something to look forward to this summer!

Cheers for the info

I lived in Arnold until 1957 and remember Spitfires flying over - but also sonic booms from aircraft breaking the sound barrier. I assume it was due to the proximity of Hucknall and RR doing jet engine development work.

I do remember in the mid/early 70's a sonic boom over Nott'm there were loads of denials from all sources concerned but I did hear it myself.

I was on my way home from somewhere and about 5 mins walk from home, when I got in my mum was ready to chastise me for slamming the door so hard, till she realised I had not been home

Look at the 'person' on 49 seconds of this clip ,any one notice any thing slightly dodgy??

BBC - Video clip of Vulcan bomber taking off at Bruntingthorpe Airfield.

I remember seeing the Vulcan fly long before it went into service with the RAF, I have seen it many times since, flying I might add. There is great hope that it will fly again at RAF Waddington's air show in July. The one they have managed to get back in the air was for ages on the tarmac at Waddington.

The one they have managed to get back in the air was for ages on the tarmac at Waddington.

Not so...the one "for ages on the tarmac at Waddington" was the engine-less and gutted XA 609...which was made their gate guardian because it was the first Vulcan to fly the Falklands bombing raid on Port Stanley airfield.

The renovated Vulcan is XH558, which was the final RAF display Vulcan that was flown to Bruntinghthorpe in 1993, having completed it's final RAF display at Cranfield just the day before.

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Robt,

My mistake, you obviously know more about the Vulcan than I do.

Lizzie,

My mistake too...the Vulcan is actually XM607!

According to a recent scan on Google Earth, she doesn't seem to be stood at the Waddington gate anymore...

There is a quite superb book, by Rowland White, detailing the complexities of her pioneering flight from Ascension Island to bomb the Port Stanley runway, entitled 'Vulcan 607'...ISBN 978 0 552 15299 7.

"...The distance she had to travel was 4,000 miles beyond her maximum range. It took 15 Victor tankers and 17 seperate inflight refuellings - including Victors refuelling Victors to get them back to Ascension - to get her over the target, and give its crew any chance of coming back alive..."

Wonder if you are aware that the Captain on that flight, S/L Martin Withers, is also a Bostonian?

Cheers

Robt P.

Ayup all,

Vulcan XM 607 is stood opposite the spectator viewing area on the A15 and stood near to it behind a blast wall is the new Sentinal, the area around the main hangar is going through some major building work at the moment so all the AWACS are stored at the other end of the runway together with a pair of Hawk trainers painted in black with yellow stripes on the tail

Rog

Hi Robt,

I don't know an awful lot about the Vulcan I must admit but I do remember it flying before it went into service, many moons ago now. I know that she only ever flew in anger during the Falklands war. One of my sons was in the army and was posted there just after it had finished, he wasn't old enough to go while it was on. Another one of my sons is a civilian officer at Waddington so we do get to know a little bit of what is happening there, not a lot though or he says he will have to shoot us ha ha !

We live not far from Conningsby, where the Battle of Britain flight is stationed and see the whole flight quite often in the summer going out or in from air shows.

Talking of airshows, the Vulcan XH558 is pencilled in to fly at RIAT at RAF Fairford on 12th/13 July

Ayup all,

Heard a whisper today the Vulcan is flying to RAF Cottesmore next week for navigation equipment to be fitted or tested and the week after to RAF Waddington for brake trials.

Hi Lizzie I work not far from Conningsby and see the BBMF planes at least once a week and the Typhoons every day out of my office window

Rog

Ayup all,

Heard a whisper today the Vulcan is flying to RAF Cottesmore next week for navigation equipment to be fitted or tested and the week after to RAF Waddington for brake trials.

Hi Lizzie I work not far from Conningsby and see the BBMF planes at least once a week and the Typhoons every day out of my office window

Rog

Bloody Montagues Harrier in the summer, Typhoons and the BBMF in the winter , I'm moving to Lincolnshire.

Well I would if the fishing was any good!!!

Get to see it while you can. As I understand it the airframe doesn't have an awful lot of hours left in it. Then it will be grounded for ever.

Not so...

The major work taken place at Bruntingthorpe has been primarily devoted to the airframe, hence all the expense.

Now certified to fly for an, estimated, further 10 years...

Cheers

Robt P.

Just need the money for fuel

She's pencilled in for Farnborough the week after Fairford too (And of course Waddington)