Hi all.... Im after some advice.. Been growing Basil and Parsley for a while on my kitchen window ledge. But recently my parsley has been gowing a light brown colour and my basil leaves are going sticky with tiny little white things on, their are no insects i can see on or around the plant so no idea what they are. Any idea why theyv gone like this? i use both on a regular basis although abit worried to use the basil now!

Them's aphids, I get them on my umbrella plant, I wash the leaves off every now and then to rid the plant of them.

WELL YOU GARDNERS OUT THERE DOSE ANYBODY NOW IF YOU CAN TAKE CUTTINGS FROM BUDDLIA AND CANADIAN LILACK MY SISTER HAS BOTH OF THESE IN HER GARDEN AND AS I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THE MEMORIAL WE WERE TALKING ABOUT EARLIER THIS YEAR IN MEMORY OF KAT I WONDERED IF IT COULD BE DONE TO SAVE COSTS. BUT AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE I AM NOT A GARDNER SO HAVE NO IDEA AM THINKING OF GOING DOWN THE GARDEN CENTRE TODAY TO PRICE THINGS UP THINKING ABOUT THE PLANTING LATER THIS MONTH AS COMPOSAID END OF SEP OCT BEST TIME FOR THING LIKE THIS.

No idea, but cut a few sprigs and put them in a glass of water, that's what I do, if they root they root, if they don't...Oh well....

I know tomato vines will tip root if you leave one on the ground.

Budlia, grows like a weed. Massive bushes all along the local railways.

We just chopped ours down, there is a vase of flowers in the lounge.

Cheaper than air freshener :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice! do i use normal washing up liquid diluted well to wash them with?

Also make sure the plant "likes" soapy water, try some on one leaf first, some plants have a reaction to detergents.

• Upvote 1

i went to do as suggested, as i moved the plant i discovered that theres little flies living on it! Its outside now, think its time to chuck it and re-grow it again!

No need to throw the plant away. A wash wish soap and water is all you need. I rub the aphids off gently with my fingers and then wash the sticky "Honeydew" off with soap and water.

In olden days, gardeners made up a "Paraffin Wash" of pure soap mixed with paraffin and water. It kills just about anything growing on plants but is not so good if you want to eat the stuff afterwards! :o)