Full Circle - paper rounds

As a lad living in Netherfield trying to earn a shilling or two like many others I took on a paper round, first with Bloors and then Dawsons then later with Pete Tarry. Recently a friend here in Mabo who runs a newsagents told me he was struggling to get people for deliveries and could I help him out for a while, well what could I say, I'm now a born again paper boy, aka news deliverer, I've come full circle, at least I don't have to rush to get the inkwells filled and the blackboard cleaned.

• Upvote 1

Like you Beachbum, i had a paper round 18s 6d,when i started, went up to 22s buy the time i left,

Mornings and evenings,

2 days off a year Christmas day & Good Friday,

Talking to my local newsagent, He's the same can't get the young ones to do it anymore,

He told me one new lad rang last week and said " we don't have to take them when it's raining do we !!"

and last winter one lad said "I'm not delivering in the snow" elf & safety!!

• 2 years later...

I did a paper round for Hickingbottoms Carlton hill ,only a young sprog then did the last post many a time in the hedge, got a rollicking next day though. lol.