Old ATV Today material

Most people here will probably remember ATV Today, the ITV regional news programme which was broadcast up to the mid 1980s.

MACE (Media Archive for Central England) who've been mentioned before, have put out a DVD of clips from old ATV programmes. They were always Birmingham-biased, but there's a fair number of non-Brum stories included. Stories you watched when you were a kid. Presenters, hair styles, and fashions you'd forgotten about.

You can see a lot of them here http://www.facebook....ncolour?fref=ts and buy the DVD as well.

It's a shock how amateurish a lot of it was. Although I have to say the BBC Midlands Today was pretty poor at the time as well.

Presented by Tom Coyne if I remember rightly.

(I wonder if they've got accessible archives as well).

A lot changed when they opened Pebble Mill, which was supposed to be the 'state of the art' second BBC centre.

An attempt at regional diversification (sound familiar ?)

Remember the incredibly naff Pebble Mill at One - Bob Langley et al.

The Pebble Mill experiment ultimately failed - not helped by the building having 'Concrete cancer', but probably because people weren't that keen on trekking up to studios in Edgbaston instead of being in the capital.

I wonder if the BBC Salford Centre will fail along similar lines !

• 3 weeks later...

Living in Birmingham as a Kid, much of the stuff was from studios in Birmingham?

Bob & Cyril gardening @ Canon Hill Park.

There used to be a program on at dinnertime 'Lunch Box'

Lunch Box......................didn't that 'launch' the career of Noele (Nolly) Gordon, most forgettable programme.................pity I can't forget it!! S**t always sticks.....