going tall trees this weekend but not for the plant side of it, going to buy some fish and have a cuppa in the cafe next door. maybe well be lucky to see one of the peacocks! bought some reduced violas from the garden part of the range last weekend, reduced to a quid for 6 plants! popped some on a pot and the rest on the flower bed thinking they wouldn't last, but theyv really flourished and look lovely, a pound well spent!

I often buy scavenge plants from Homebase. Recently got a box of knackered Cyclamen for 99p Took them home, cleared the dead material and repotted them. Now have nine healthy Cyclamen flowering merrily.

I love the challenge of getting summat fer nowt :)

Never rated Homebase 'bargains'...most at this one here are just dead and knackered.B&Q on the other hand often have loads at very reasonable prices.I've rescued and took root cuttings off many there for mere pennies.I suppose it depends on the staff.

Have a look from time to time at the Daybrook Homebase's plants and whilst there's an occasional bargain some of the 'offers' I don't know how they've got the cheek to sell them.

Find the same with the local Wilkos although they are good for other garden stuff.

Our nearest B&Q is 110 miles south. Were stuck with Homebase so I make the most of any offers available :)

I find homebase to be such a rip off and i barely make a habbit of going there, luckily for me i live within a 5 min walk to the netherfield branch of B&Q, so when it comes to the end of a season.. off i go to make the most of the reductions. Also, a week before christmas is a good time to visit, i bought a 7ft christmas tree reduced from £30something to £11.99, bargain! And loads of decs for between 10p-£1

Michael - would definitely be Floralands (Wickes). That was the one with a children's play area. They have a little 'petting zoo' thing on the premises nowadays.

You can only go to the petting zoo on certain days... and they charge you admission to get in! Thinking about taking the little one to see santa there this year, last year they had real reindeer and donkeys

• 1 year later...

I ENJOY Garden centres,of which we have many around Notts, when i was travelling around the country i always popped in them,because they usually have nice Coffee shops,however for the last 5 or 6 years i very seldom make a purchase in any, (apart from coffee and a snack) because they are too expensive.

you get some real bargains in Morrisons,i love Roses and had about 30 at my previous house all bought from Morrisons at 3 or 4 pounds each.Went to Trowell Garden centre this morning but bought nowt same type of Roses min.price £10,so i 'll be back to Morrisons for my new garden.