Hi,I just want to tell you that tonight on BBC four there has been two Rock and Roll half documentary's

9pm-10pm Rock and Roll Britannia

10pm-11pm The Kings of Rock and Roll

If you have BBC I Player it is worth watching,some great footage and Brilliant music.

Sorry i couldn't get on the laptop to let you know earlier.

I think they were both repeats from about a year or so ago.

We enjoyed them,we must have missed them first time round,still worth a second viewing,there were some great singers in the 50s-early 60s,for me they are unbeatable,real performers.

Piggy and Babs,i bet you'l be walking the boards tonight then,that's what happens to me ,i don't even know i have nodded off until i am waking up LOL,if you have BBC I player give it a go its well worth it,give you something to watch if you are awake all night.

dout if ill be awake much longer dont usually take me long to go back of just waiting for piggy to come up to bed cuz if i fall asllep now he will only wake me up again in a few mins in fact i can hear him locking up now.

Carni, thanks for that . The Brittania one seems to be on BBCi player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/episode/b01sgbw2

Looks really interesting and will watch it later . Just watched the start of it and like the bit about skiffle . I recently bought a Lonnie Donegan compilation album and he was doing versions of old blues songs almost a decade before the Stones.

I presume the clip of a clean cut school boy called James Page , playing skiffle later showed him in Led Zep.

There is also an old Wings live concert on BBCi that I want to watch that is due to be taken down in few days.

For years people listened to the radio and heard Joe Loss, Jimmy Young, Lita Roza, Frank Sinatra and other 'nice' music being played. Then, around 1955, they heard Elvis. His music was sensational, music that nobody had heard before. When people first started to see him perform on stage they went crazy. He was good looking with a great voice, well mannered and very humble. He sang rock & roll or rockabilly and you couldn't keep still as you listened to him. He also recorded some great ballads. Everyone knows that he shouldn't have made all those rubbish films but that was down to his manager. I was still at Trent Bridge Senior School when it all started and it was a fantastic period in my life. Elvis, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Haley and others changed peoples lives forever. It's difficult to find the words to describe this period but if you were around at the time then you'll understand the phenomenon of Rock & Roll. Some of the early Rock & Roll stars, like Fats Domino, had been around for a while in the USA but Elvis and Bill Haley etc made them all famous around the world. The youth of the UK went crazy for Rock & Roll and and a number of television shows began. Can you remember the names of them all?. They had Rock & Roll stars like Eddie Cochrane, who was very popular in the UK, as guests. The UK had it's own stars and I'd say that Cliff Richard and Billy Fury were it's biggest stars. Everyone will no doubt come up with their own preference, both here and the USA. The music still lives on today and there are Rock & Roll clubs in most of the cities in the UK. People like my friend, the DJ 'Rockin' Hodgo', will ensure it does live on. When I put my music on the 'REAL ROCK AND ROLL' thread I just hope that one or two of you enjoy it.

Mr. Booth,

I for one am looking forward to what you have to offer on the, "Real Rock and Roll" thread. I'm sure I can offer you some names for that section if you like.

Well Michael , I enjoy the clips , even if I don't post to say so !

It seems to be similar on most message boards when it comes to posting various music videos . I read a couple of other message boards daily , that often have videos posted and they rarely get many comments but I am sure people do enjoy listening ,especially if its something different from the well known tracks .

I once thought I would like to be a writer of articles of some sort but then noticed that when it came to music , that all I could say was "I like it" or "I don't like it" , whereas others can write eloquently for pages saying what the influences to the music are and what album it came and all sorts of background stuff way beyond me . I guess you have either got "it" or you ain't !

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your reply, DAVIDW. My comment was meant loosely and, like yourself, I don't comment on every post. I have no idea what happens on other message boards.because Nottstalgia is the only one I've ever been on.

Michael , One of the boards I occasionally post on , is for fans of Brian Wilson ( founder of Beach Boys).

At one point the message board was really in the doldrums and was saved because someone came up with the idea of having a weekly Battle of the Bands .

Each week someone comes up with 4 songs (one of which must have a Beach Boys connection) , posts tbe video links and others vote for them in order and comment or post alternative videos . Not compulsory but there should be something connecting the songs . This week all the songs have "Lady" in the title.

At the end of the year the winners from each week , battle it out until an overall winner is declared . Not

advocating we do it here as it's a mammoth task but you might be interested in the battle of a few weeks

ago that had Ledbelly songs as a link ....about 5 messages down .

http://brianwilson.websitetoolbox.com/?forum=250214

Hi,I just want to tell you that tonight on BBC four there has been two Rock and Roll half documentary's

9pm-10pm Rock and Roll Britannia

Thanks for the tip-off about that. I must say Six-Five Special seemed a lot less cutting edge than it did at the time! Hands up who spotted the ex-boxer Freddie Mills in one of the clips shown.

My hero was Tommy Steele, and I've still got this book:

TommySteele_zps463ccf17.jpg