Can you remember spending money?

Can't remember how old I was but my first recall of spending money was 3d I used to buy 1/4oz of dolly mixtures from the corner shop progressing to 6d it was 1/2oz of dolly mixtures. Then because I helped mum with the house work it went up to 2/6 this I spent ice skating 1/6 to go in 6d on coke 6d on bus fare. Then the power's to be my dad put my spending up to five bob 5/- WOW! this meant I could go dancing Tuesday teen night at the dance hall as well as skating. 1/3 to get in the dance hall 3d bag of chips on the way home 6d drink that left me with a tanner 6d for the rest of the week.

Starting work as an apprentice hairdresser my wage's in a little brown envelop was £1 9/6 It worked out well 9/6 bus fare 10/- board 10/- spending money.

Getting married 1965 I used to have £5 00 house keeping I used to call at Sid's my butcher's and ask for a piece of topside beef 5/6 to 7/6

The good old days

• Upvote 2

I think you got your ounces mixed up...do you mean 4oz for 3d and 8oz for 6d? I used to get 3d a week too...but had an Aunty that used to give me 6d every time I visited...she didn't 'arf get some visits.

I think you got your ounces mixed up...do you mean 4oz for 3d and 8oz for 6d? I used to get 3d a week too...but had an Aunty that used to give me 6d every time I visited...she didn't 'arf get some visits.

Thanks for correction poohbear I was writing the message at 3 00 am

Spending money was mentioned in this thread. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10120&hl=spending

Thanks for pointing this out Cliff as I only joined this year I did not see your topic

In addition to times tables up to x12, I remember in (I guess) what would be called year 3 these days (Mikado Road infants school, Long Eaton), chanting the equivalent in shillings and pence of the relevant number of pennies up to ten bob :

12 pence = 1/-

20 pence = 1/8d

24 pence = 2/-

30 pence = 2/6d

36 pence = 3/-

40 pence = 3/4d

48 pence = 4/-

50 pence = 4/2d

60 pence = 5/-

70 pence = 5/10d

72 pence = 6/-

80 pence = 6/8d