Richard / Janice Steer Thaxted Close Aspley occupants

Obviously you have issues to talk about BIP, I wish you luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well I'm back. Sorry but seem to have an unusual amount of computer crashes over here in Aussie. Must be the beautiful sunshine.

OK Denis see if you can fill in the blanks!!!!

No 1 - Stanley and Pauline Hammersley

No 2 - Lesley and Margaret Johnson

No 3 -

No 4 - Ann

No 5 - Richard and Janice Stear

No 6 - Ray and Florrie

No 7 - Beattie and husband (who I believe went for a loaf of bread and never returned !!!!!!)

No 8 - Sandra Newton

No 9 - Ray and Phylis

No 10 - Vanessa (Me) and Victor Dunn

No 11 - Stan and Irene

No 12 - Teresa Mellows

No 13 - Wasn't one!!!!

No 14 - Trevor and Colin Messum

No 15 - Lesley Whittaker

No 16 - Ann and Jean Walker - Ann died about 20 years ago, Jean lives in NSW (Aussie) Spoke to Jean last year.

No 17 - The name begins with A

No 18 - Christine Goodacre

No 19 - Dennis *******

No 20 - Susan Richards

No 21 -

No 22 -

No 23 -

No 24 -

Having left in 1966 the memory cells are not too bad!!!

Yes I do have fond memories of the crack on the head and it obviously explains a few things!!!

Bike rides with you Dennis to Ifields and boating on the lake there. Rides through Wollaton Park. Geez I wouldn't like to be riding a bike these days. Playing British Buldog in the middle of the island. Denis dropping firecrackers down the grates. Doorknocker pulling.!!!

I do have fond memories of these times.

I have a photo I will dig out from when I visited Thaxted Close in 1986. Quite a few of the neighbours on it.

Ivy and Mell Richards have both died. I have been trying to track down Susan for years but without success. Did hear she was in Mablethorpe.

Sandra Newton also died years ago I believe.

Spoke to Pauline Hammersley a couple of years ago. Victor met Stanley (a Doctor)when he was in the UK Stanley married Teresa Mellows but later divorced.

Trevor and Colin Messum went overseas to live and later returned to the UK.

No 18 was Glenys Oliver I think if my memory serves me correctly.

Actually leaving Aussie for a 7 week holiday with my husband Greg to the UK and Europe on the 22nd August. Ist stop will be Oldham and the relatives.

I'll let you know if we are going to pass through Nottingham.

Yes I remember the skipping rope and the skates that took me everywhere including frequent trips to the Co-op. Whip and Top challenge to get completely around the close.

Remember the County Ice Cream van that used to come every day through summer and the Rag and Bone Mans cart. (Showing my age here).

I think your Mum and mine are about the only oldies still living. Mum is 90 this year.

Vanessa

Well I'm back. Sorry but seem to have an unusual amount of computer crashes over here in Aussie. Must be the beautiful sunshine.

OK Denis see if you can fill in the blanks!!!!

No 1 - Stanley and Pauline Hammersley

No 2 - Lesley and Margaret Johnson

No 3 -

No 4 - Ann

No 5 - Richard and Janice Stear

No 6 - Ray and Florrie

No 7 - Beattie and husband (who I believe went for a loaf of bread and never returned !!!!!!)

No 8 - Sandra Newton

No 9 - Ray and Phylis

No 10 - Vanessa (Me) and Victor Dunn

No 11 - Stan and Irene

No 12 - Teresa Mellows

No 13 - Wasn't one!!!!

No 14 - Trevor and Colin Messum

No 15 - Lesley Whittaker

No 16 - Ann and Jean Walker - Ann died about 20 years ago, Jean lives in NSW (Aussie) Spoke to Jean last year.

No 17 - The name begins with A

No 18 - Christine Goodacre

No 19 - Dennis *******

No 20 - Susan Richards

No 21 -

No 22 -

No 23 -

No 24 -

Having left in 1966 the memory cells are not too bad!!!

Yes I do have fond memories of the crack on the head and it obviously explains a few things!!!

Bike rides with you Dennis to Ifields and boating on the lake there. Rides through Wollaton Park. Geez I wouldn't like to be riding a bike these days. Playing British Buldog in the middle of the island. Denis dropping firecrackers down the grates. Doorknocker pulling.!!!

I do have fond memories of these times.

Doorknocker pulling & fire crackers down the grates??? would you like to explain DG!!??

• 2 months later...

I had the good fortune to make this connection through Dennis G***** when I mistook him for his brother Dave on the Friends site. I would just like to add a few points. 1. I think he means the Brandons at 21-Graham was my best mate for some time. Saw him a couple of years back on my annual visit to UK from Australia. There was no daughter except Pauline Brandon at 21. I think D. is thinking of the pretty blonde at23!(cannot remember her name.)

2. Althogh Teresa Mellows and I were engaged, I never had the honour of being married to her-her mother who was a fanatical Roman Catholic saw to that. I did however meet Teresa in Ireland again last year,she is still amazingly lovely for an old duck of *** I have a photo of us in Dublin(the one that CAN be published! She is a Dental Surgeon and her daughter a lawyer.

3 Do you remember the amazing cricket and footie games on the green in the middle of the close,until some pencil fairy put up a notice prohibiting this.

4Before the Brandons a toffee nosed union official lived there with a huge union provided car,complete with golf clubs(? also union provided)with which he would hob nob with the great and good.

5.I think the Pearsons lived at 4 or 5.

6. Itoo live in Australia, could not wait to escape the NHS(horrific!!!), but miss Blighty but not the weather,cost of living,crime etc etc. Must go am getting organised for the post ashes parties when Oz thrashes England yet again. Stan

Only two I can say for certain are your brother Dave(back row-who I mistook for you at first!) and the little chap in middle row chatting up the birds as usual,yourself.Who are the others? Icome to Engand every year to get away from the cold Australian winters(temp gets down to 20 C around here, brrrrrrr.) Give my regards to Vanessa-where is her brother Vic,-met him last in Victoria nearly 30 years ago. Stan

Yes, a couple of good photos-one includes you, Vanessa, and the Messoms as you have now identified them I am going to have to await the return of my son to post them,as since I retired and have lost my two very clever assistants I am lost. Your mum looks well by the way-give her my best wishes. Stan compusmash

• 1 month later...

...ah the grog has pickled your brain Den. Picture taken outside chez nous(no.1) In the background is your good self not Dave. In the far backgound is a Standard Vanguard at 20/21 with what looks like a Morris in front. The lamp standard is at the entrance to the Close, and served as a wicket for many a battle of cricket. The dark haired boy I believe is Les Johnson and the two boys are the Messoms.

The motor bike was my first a James (don`t laugh). The girl on the right with dog is my sister,Pauline,on the left is Vanessa Dunn.Not sure about the pram though don`t reckon you would have fitted at that stage! The handsome young fella with the shield was Graham Brandon, quite an athlete in his day.