I can't even find out where it was. Gizza clue; what district? Now that I've read your post I want to know where it was :)

Hi Compo,

In reading another post, my mind shot to Dan Crosslands shop and after looking on the site for it I was surprised that neither it or Albion Chambers got a mention particularly as we are talking about Nottingham history here. I thought it would be immediately recognised.

So here is what you want to know.

On Parliament Street there is a Fothergill building originally housing the Nottm. Express & later the Nottm. News & Guardian.

Next to it on King St. is another Fothergill building that used to house Jessops & Sons On the ground floor on the corner of these two streets was a large curved display window belonging to Crossland's Cycle Shop. There was a sole display in the window, the RRA. Immediately below the window on Kings Street was the entrance to Albion Chambers. The thing I do not remember for sure is was Albion Chambers part of one of the two mentioned buildings or a separate one in between.

Crossland's was if not the only Raleigh Cycle Dealer in the town, the recognised Main Dealer. At the time of my recollections it was not possible to buy a Raleigh in this country without being on a long waiting list.

This leaves the who's was it and what was it to think about !! One clue, IT is in the Wollaton Hall Museum.

My dad had an RRA. Given to him by Raleigh for some promo photos he took back in the 50s.

When I was 14, he and I took it to North Wales where I rode it over the Bwlch y Groes pass. He was in his car following me and couldn't keep up on the descents. :)

As far as I know, my brother still has it, as well as another Nottingham cycle dad owned, a 1930s Paragon.

Bazalways: Crosslands must have been before my time. I know the buildings you mention but cannot recall a bicycle shop there.

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst looking at pictures in the ABC Carlton/Long Row area I remembered a little shop run by the R.M.I.B. were these sold Brushes & Mats etc. made locally by blind people at the RMIB premises on the corner of Clarendon St & Chaucer Street,(NTGM005525 Cliff Ton). I was privileged to see these old guys at work in the brush room on many occasions whilst carry out repairs there. There were small circular benches which they would sit around with a pot of boiling pitch at its centre. They each had a small tray of Bristles from which they would pick a few, tap the ends on the bench to level them, dip the end in the pitch then push the little bundle into a predrilled brush head. How they never got burnt is amazing, practice probably, but these guys were always so happy & cheerful, it must have been super work therapy for them. They were mainly ex servicemen I believe. It was a wonderful experience for me. Oh, & when it was time to leave & say bye, they always replied, I'll see you.

Do you remember that little shop.

I remembered a little shop run by the R.M.I.B. were these sold Brushes & Mats etc. made locally by blind people at the RMIB premises on the corner of Clarendon St & Chaucer Street,(NTGM005525 Cliff Ton).

Hint taken.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM005525&prevUrl=

Surprisingly, the building has survived and hasn't changed much.

http://goo.gl/maps/e5s2e