Now that the NET system has been operating for a while, are there any Forum impressions of the service?

Frankly, must admit that I was a member of the sceptical brigade at it's inception - being of the view that it was likely to be a '7 day wonder' with the rather fickle travelling public, and that the *Use it, or lose it" threat would quickly be issued.

Having made only my second tram journey last week (with no particular purpose, except for the ride) I've revised my opinion as they seemed well patronised, punctual, and efficiently run - given that the novelty time has now expired.

Certainly, if I lived by the route I'd be a regular patron.

Is there any evidence that City road traffic has reduced since NET's introduction?

Cheers

Robt P.

I have travelled twice on the Transit system.

Both occasions were Summer nights out with the local Cameraclub.

www.longeatoncameraclub.com

For a couple of quid you can ride all day.

Can't wait till they reach downtown Sawley, as long as their not thundering past my house!

Its Fantastic from Hucknall to Wilkinson street at Break neck speed - but once onto the green the rest is a crawl and standing room only.

Spot how many dont pay and thats not counting all the oldies and such with free passes (including me)

Its a great place for listening in to open conversations - last week one woman stood there bragging to her mate how many pairs of socks she had nicked from Littlewoods!

I must admit to feeling sorry for all the folks who live on Noel street and who still have the protest notices in their windows - and their complaints of noise and vibration.

:Friends: Not had the pleasure yet but planning too. Do you pay on the tram or do you have to buy your ticket before getting on ? I've heard about all the non payers, i read something in the Evening Post some time ago about the problem....Bring back the conductors, i say....

:Friends: Not had the pleasure yet but planning too. Do you pay on the tram or do you have to buy your ticket before getting on ?  I've heard about all the non payers, i read something in the Evening Post some time ago about the problem....Bring back the conductors, i say....

Pay on the tram, to a conductor.....just like days of yore!

Have only seen the male variety thus far.....shame really, as the typical conductress of 50's/60's memory was very often a small red-headed vamp, with layers of lipstick and an over-friendly manner :yahoo:

Cheers

Robt P.

Its Fantastic from Hucknall to Wilkinson street at Break neck speed - but once onto the green the rest is a crawl and standing room only.

I was also surprised by the line speed north of Wilkinson Street, certainly 60mph plus.

Also surprising that the usually ultra cautious Rail Inspectorate gave their assent, especially as the tram frame is obviously much less sturdy than the rail carriage.

Apparently, much of the bullhead track on this stretch was taken from the defunct Bestwood Junction sidings.

Cheers

Robt P.

;) Thanks rob for the info. What i will do is take a trip to Hucknall in me Picasso and leave it there in the car park and do a round trip....When i get into Nottingham do i have to change trams or can i stay on the one i'm on for the return journey ? and do i need to buy a return ticket ?

Yes Rob - You can stay on board as on the trams of yore the driver just changes ends (and the conductor turns round to face the other way) B)

Not sure about the ticket though - I think you have to buy a seperate ticket each way or have an all day or a 'rovers return' - I have never paid yet being a city living oldie and disabled to boot.

wereno1

What i miss on them trams is getting on in bulwell, going one stop and not having to pay for it, thats why they say it aint paying.

Ii dont live down there anymore but there aint enough collectors on em or clippies as we used to say on the old trolly buses eh lads, rem that one.

I i have stood on them trams, to no avail, waiting for the conductor with me money held out, and they dont turn up, they are other end of the tram, what can u do, i nervoulsly tell fellow passengers and they presumed i had an all day ticket return, so what do you do? Believe it or not i gave me tram fares to red cross in the way of a donation, wont someone tell city transport what is happening to tram goers, sixties goers was always on top, think about that one then, chrissie

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently pioneer NET tram 201 Torvill and Dean was briefly derailed early yesterday morning, whilst leaving the Wilkinson Street depot and running over some icy pointwork.

Quite appropriate really...... kickme

Cheers

Robt P.

• 7 years later...

Don't use the trams, I was spoken to so rudely and embarrassed infront of other passengers.

I didn't know they stopped linking the all day bus tickets with the tram as I used to do this when I went to college. Anyways I'm only on it for two stops (market square to station street) and I show the women my ticket. To be shouted at like a child! 'We do not accept those tickets, we haven't in a while, I can't stand people like you who think we are stupid!!' Oh, I am really sorry I hadnt of realised. 'your goinf to have to get off now!' But we're not far from the final stop. (approaching the bridge that only trams have access to) 'i do not care, get off now' and she got the driver to stop and chucked me off.

Charming! I felt so embarrassed, I wasn't trying to scam anyone. I have never used the tram since!

The tram stops are provided with raised pavements so that boarding and alighting is on the level. I am pretty sure that under the dreaded Health and Safety rules, opening the doors between stops is absolutely forbidden, let alone forcing people to get off. If you had fallen while getting off, a compensation claim against NET would very likely have succeeded.

At guess, making someone get off between stops is against regulations, did you get any ID of the employee???

That's exactly what I thought, was quite a jump down too. I think the bitter old lady was taking her job too seriously, could of let me get off the stop and understoodit was a simple mistake.

Iv been shouted at by a bus driver as well for owing 30p, sat down and was rummaging through my bag for it, two stops later he gets out the cabby bit and shouts have you found the money cos if not this is your stop. The bus was packed due to being Christmas time... This old woman got up and threw a quid at him and told him he should be ashamed to of spoken to someone in that mannor. In the end I found the 30p and a quid to repay the woman who refused to take it a d told me to go treat myself to a coffee when I got into town.

What is it with these people?

Different time and age, but you must remember, these people deal with many assholes during their working day and it's hard to keep cool all the time...But I'd bet, if you'd got the lady's ID and reported her, she'd have been reprimanded and the driver too for stopping between stops...I know the Sacramento light rail system makes no stops between stops, other than warning signals, and to make a passenger get off between stops is a no no that could get a driver fired on the spot.

I'd imagine the NTC has similar rules for safety of passengers.

I didn't bother reporting. I was having a bad day as it was and I sort of blamed myself, maybe I should of looked up if the tickets were still accepted. Although the woman could of politely told me and let me off just the once.

I do understand they put up with a lot of stick. My friend is a bus driver and tells me how every day they have at least one a-hole kick up some drama. But I was looking for the money, just needed a couple of minutes.

Usually I respect bus drivers a lot, they drive in all weathers, work all hours and put up with a lot yet they still come to worl every day and greet you with a smile (well, most)

i amuseing the tram quite a bit at the momemt if you live in nottingham you can use your pentioners pass . in the main i am finding the staff very polite and helpful but there are a few jobsworths about. the other week we got on andat the same time a young man in powered weelchair who had not renewed hi pass the lady ticket colector wanted to put him off the next stop it was obvious he had disabilities dave paid his fair so he could stay on and get back home. he may have been told on several occation to go and sort out his new pass i dont know but they could have used a bit of compation with him. the lat couple of weeks they have had a lot of inspectors on the trams inpecting every ones tickers and passes

Pixie. From 1969 until 1972, when I became a driver, I was a bus conductor on the City of Glasgow public transport. The people of Glasgow could be warm, funny, nice, nasty, drunk or sober. Funnily enough, much the same as any other part of the UK. Glasgow Corporation were very strict with their bus operatives and rudeness to passengers was never ever tolerated. I did not find this a problem. A young woman with a couple of squirming weans and 2 or 3 shopping bags was always given the chance to have her money ready. Old folk always given a helping hand. Drunks mostly neede someone to have a laugh with. Even they knew never to argue with a Glasgow 'polis' on a fri or sat night. No I was not perfect. I would happily have chucked some of the dozy buggers off the bus but I needed the job.

Sometimes I think that the bus crews have not learned from past mistakes.

And the standard of driving? I have seen some Nottingham Corporation buses go through red lights.

P & B. I think Nottingham is one of the only places where you can nearly get run over by someone on a scooter while you are riding home on a tram LOL. And my dad is one of the worst. At 92 he thinks he is at Donnington Park. But I agree about compassion. Everyone who deals with the public should remember two things. 1. They will be old one day 2. No one is exempt from becoming disabled through no fault of their own.