Sweet Chestnuts

I wonder if it could have been the remains of a length of burning rolled up news paper, used to light a Parkie. Thrown down in haste, because it was getting to close to the hand? That was probably what it was in our house.

• Upvote 1

tomlinson (#25). This section of an article I found may answer your question:

Mam looks up from her darning from time to time and perhaps may notice a black paper-like "smut" fluttering from one of the bars of the fire-cage. Then all eyes would look up as she murmurs, "There's a stranger coming.... there's a stranger on the bar!" and we would all count off from the bottom bar, "man, woman... man, woman... man..." and we would try to guess who the unexpected but now sure-to-come visitor might be.

This is what yer needs

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/beldray-5kw-cast-iron-stove-170-b-q-instore-only-2011782

Got one last week

Solid stove, but the door fastening is not great, Nor are the small tabs that hold the door glass in, or the small bolts that hold the throat plate in. Guarantee, for one year.

As I was considering a stove @£1100, quite a saving. Will use for a couple of years then sell it and buy a better stove.
This stove used on ebay finishes today, currently £155
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171476888272?

It is not Defra approved. Ring your council and find out if you are in a smoke controlled zone.
If they say no, get the name of the person that tells you this, write it down and note the time and date.
Speak to the engineer if possible.

£1000 fine for breach of Smoke control, it only takes one neighbour to complain. The name on the paper will save you a big fine.

Carni, # 14 ........ my hubby came back from walking the dogs in Bestwood this morning with a pocketful of chestnuts. He has a real obsession with nuts and it drives me mad listening to the nut-cracker. Even on holiday in S of France last week he was looking all the time for nuts, but as he didn't have his nut-crackers with him he was using a mallet that he found on the boat. Be glad when Christm ...... is over and gone for that reason!

It's your profile piccie Sue, I have to do a double take sometimes, yours and Carnis are so similar :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Here is the Gateau Mont Blanc as promised.....see the calories pile up :biggrin:

2 Egg Whites

1 Dessertsp Corn Oil

4oz Caster Sugar

2oz unsalted butter

1oz Caster sugar

8oz Sweetened Chestnut Puree

2-3dessertsp Dry Sherry

Lemon Juice

0.5pt Whipped Cream

Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper and draw 2x7" circles. Brush lightly with oil.

Whisk egg whites until stiff and dry add 2 dssrtsp sugar and whisk again until stiff.

Lightly fold in the remaining sugar.

Pipe meringue, using large rose nozzle, Piping a ring inside one of the circles and fill the other circle completely with a layer of meringue about 0.25inch thick.

Pipe remaining meringue into 8 smallish rosettes at side of the circles.

Bake the meringue at 1, 275f for about 1 hour or until meringues are crisp, dry and coffee coloured.

Lift rosettes off the paper, then turn paper upside down and carefully peel it off the ring and meringue base. Leave on wire rack to cool.

For filling cream together butter and sugar, stir the chestnut puree until smooth and beat into the creamed butter and sugar, little by little or it will curdle.

Flavour to taste with sherry and lemon juice.

To assemble: place meringue base on flat serving dish. Using a plain nozzle pipe a little of the whipped cream around edge of base and set the meringue ring on top.

Fill the centre with the chestnut mixture, piling it up in a mound.

Pipe a little cream on base of each rosette and arrange on top of meringue ring.

Pipe remaining cream over the chestnut mound to resemble snow.

Decorate with chopped pistachio nuts.....and eat!

Enjoy!! :yowza:

• Upvote 3

I have frozen my Chestnut puree darkaza.

Your recipe is in my book already, waiting for me to try. If your Minted Gooseberry Jelly is anything to go by: I know we are in for a treat.

I will eat it slowly, then the calories don't count! slywink

• Upvote 2