My father once told me that the movie.."the Guns of Naverone" based on the book by Alistair maclean, has scenes of mountain climbing that were filmed as people scaled the walls outside Nottingham castle. Does any one know if this is true or just a silly thing told to a boy by his dad.?

I do know that , in the sequel there is a scene where the main characters are preparing to get into a train wagon in a Goods station and if you look at the lettering on the side of the wagon there is stamped the letters denoting that " this wagon belongs to the royal navy.

I am beginning to believe that my Dad pulled my leg quite a lot. It wasn't until I joined up at the age of 17 that the kidding stopped but some of it I still believed for many years after because he never said that he was fibbing. Some of the stories were true as other people have told me that,...He could have made it big time as a singer.....He could have made it as a boxer but couldn't control his temper...was in the royal Navy but was medically discharged due to an injury sustained down the mine as a sixteen year old. However sub captain...No way.In the latter stages of my military career I worked with Sub Captains as I was staff car driver ( sgt) to the First sea lord for several years. My dad was not one of them and that is for sure.

Many British and American movie stars were senior officers during WW2, Jimmy Stewart flew bombers from England on bombing runs over Germany and made it to Brigadier General.

David Niven was a Lt Colonel.

Just two who were in the "thick" of it.