The housing crisis.

I've just had an idea that might help things get better.

Many old people are living in big old houses they can't afford to run. Young families are in expensive private rentals and can't afford to save.

So what I suggest is this. The government invest in a new factory producing prefabs - to modern days specs, thermally efficient, cheap to heat, low maintenance. As they are essentially temporary houses they could be placed in greenbelt areas and only eligible to retired people over 60. If at some later date they were not required the land could revert back to its former use.

The big old house that they leave would be purchased by the Council and renovated by local trades/trainees/apprentices.

These houses would then become new council housing for families for a set number of years (say 10) at low rents to allow them to save up to get on the housing ladder.

After 10 years they move out and a new young family move in.

When they get old they can then downsize to one of the prefabs.

Well is it a goer? Does it have merit?

Sounds too much like a 'common sense' idea to me....................therefore it will never see the light of day, ............ slywink

And maybe folk may not want to leave their old house with all it's memories.

My dad died this year, and my mum is alone in the bungalow in a large plot of land which he built. It is too much for mum, but it is her life and her memories. She would hate to move. So we help her as we can to ensure she remains there as long as she can.

DOWNSIZE???? LOL, I'll bet most here have more belongings than their parents, grandparents and all their kids put together....

I'm lucky, I have a fair sized acreage, but I'd hate to be forced off it period!

Being bought up in small houses, living in council houses etc, I love a big house, I like elbow room, my house is a single storey dwelling about 2450 square feet in area that I built with my own two hands..

My living area is open plan, that's kitchen, dining room and living room, which is probably bigger than the terraced house I lived in as a kid..

I think you have solved the housing problem, but the system has lots of holes in it.

Because those living in the council houses who have to move after 10 years, will they want to move or be able to move, if they are evicted, the council has an obligation to rehouse them, or if they are rich enough and get a lawyer, they could be in the house a lot longer than 10 years.

And how much will the council pay for the houses, because most people want the going price when they sell.

A good idea and with some tweaking it could work.

Rushcliff council in Langar and Bingham have turned some of the old large 3 bedroomed council houses into 2 flats, 2 bedroomed flats, now that is to me a council thinking on its feet for once.

Well I heard today that the council are preparing to convert the Guildhall to a 4 star hotel and keep that part of the block in their ownership whilst flogging of the rest of the block. Confirmation needed.

If they can do this then they could certainly have a look at tweaking an idea like this. Trouble is you are speaking a lot of common sense and common sense and politico's are strange bedfellows.

Can you just imagine land being reverted back to greenbelt? I love the idea but as in the common opinion, elderly folk hate leaving their memories behind. My dad was like that.

The idea is great but their are too many greedy bar stewards in power who would find a way of making a quick buck out of it.

• Upvote 2

good idea mate but reality i am 59 even by the time i retire i wont own my home because all that i have worked for in a lifetime will be taken off me if i have illness that involves external care and in any case iscimped and saved for my kids and grandkids so what i own should be mine and i should be able to have sole decision on my property Government and local Government have a track record of finding the most Undeserving people to give any benefits to so i would tn ot wish that on my neighbours answer this mate would you trust the agencies to find a real deserving young family to move ito your house .

• Upvote 1

It wouldn't matter, that would be their problem. What it would do is release the market value of the house so that the owner(s) could then move into a nice senior citizen estate in the country so they could live properly and maybe help out their families. 40,000 will die of cold this winter, a scheme such as this could help lower that figure, and help ease the housing crisis.

No problem scheme with tweeks but it wouldnt last two minuets before blundering councils and greedy politians ballsed it up or turned it into a money making racket to the detrement of those it was meant to help.and trust me they would balls it up.Perhaps if you called it the romanian scheme it just might succeed.

Bilboro Lad i do like the house in the country idea but i think you will find that the land is alrady earmarked you see there would be objections to the elderly buildng on greenbelt . Brussels will probably let you know who will be allowed to live in future greenbelt built property.

Trouble with moving the elderly into the country is they would need transport for getting to town etc, rural public transport is almost non existant, and they may no longer have a license to drive themselves. They need to be within easy reach of facilities such as doctors.

The area would have a dedicated bus and doctors near by. If it were popular it may even have a doctor between two or three estates so would in fact help them with medical cover. I can't see anyone having a problem with oldies living on the green belt. They don't add to commuter traffic as they've retired. Some of the prefabs could be built into the hillside invisible from the air (a bit like a rabbit warren). If they fall very ill and need nursing home care they've long since sold their house so that can't be stolen by the government.

• Upvote 1