I was born in Notts and I returned to Nottingham for my years ten to sixteen. I have been back to visit parents and sisters on several occasions but haven't been back for at least eight years. I tend to read any newsworthy items in the papers and follow events on the T.V but to get to the heart of Nottingham I am asking for an honest opinion. Is the town/city as violent as it seems to be reported. I am aware that there are very big Council estates with the inherent social problems that they incur but , overall, is it a place to raise a family?

Is the Centre declining with lots of charity shops and boarded up windows in the main shopping area's or is it still as I remember a hot bustling busy place with the violence centred about certain pubs?

I don't want to give the impression that I am looking for evidence which doesn't exist, to support theories or ill conceived idea's but just an honest opinion from any one who observes these things.

Don't all cities have the same problem? Shops are relocating out of town on retail parks where access is easy and parking is free. The buildings themselves are of budget construction and no-doubt rents are much cheaper. Plus there is the online buying that gets bigger and bigger every year. There's simply no need to battle the traffic and shop in an old shop in the middle of town. Plus, the staff don't need to pay a parking levy out of town. God knows why we are building a tram to serve the city centre ghost town. As far as social problems go - they are about to get much worse with the influx of another million or more people. Many are uneducated peasants that have no hope of employment. Where are they all going to go? What chance is there for our own young people to get a council house? Virtually zero. There's going to be civil unrest all over the country in the coming decade. I'd like to think i'm wrong but I don't think that I am. Too many people battling for too few resources equals civil unrest.

• Upvote 6

It's a bit like seeing someone you haven't seen for years. A lot of change, not always for the better. After a few years' gap, I was in Nottingham myself this year and was immediately regreting the loss of the old Market Square and surrounds. As Bilboro-lad says, all cities are suffering the same 'progress' but it was good to hear the familiar accents of the natives and find that the old friendliness is still in evidence.

Strange that ! I was in the square a few times in August. The theme was Nottingham on sea or some such. A beach (the sand was later sold to Dubai I read on this forum) There was free concerts,dodgems,rides, and the kids were playing in the water features.

Multitudes of closed shops,buses and trams stacked with grey nomads going nowhere in particular.Beautiful sunny weather almost like home. A wonderful day at Beeston marina with a gang of geriatrics from school, and lunch the next day at a fabulous pub with the most beautiful girl from my year and yes she was still incredibly beautiful!

A good visit.

Shall be in UK in January en route to CapeTown and Sydney ...no not in leg irons as a guest of H.M., but on QM2. Still love England,but could not cope with the weather,and crowds.

• Upvote 2

The Market Square is at least being utilised with displays, stalls and the annual beach etc, but how many hundreds of thousands of pounds were wasted on importing the stone from India I think it was. Something from the UK would have been less costly. I suppose it satisfied some councillors whim. Back handers spring to mind as usual !

• Upvote 3

I think on reflection JOCO spent 6 million pounds of ratepayers` funds. How quickly we forget the vast fortune the council wasted in foolish investments (e.g.Iceland) . Wonder if it was ever recovered,-very much doubt it.

• Upvote 1

When will the Nottingham City electorate get it in their thick skulls that a shake-up is necessary? I live in the City and everyone I know has a moan about that crew in charge of our council taxes but every time there's a vote they get back in.

• Upvote 1

If you come by car make sure you have plenty of money. You will be skint once you've paid the parking charges and fines for driving down the wrong road.

i have always lived in our fair city and would not live anywere else have had plenty of chances but always stayed true to my city yes its true we have some problemsbut nottingham still has a lot to give, and we i am sure could all make sujestions to improve things but when it comes down to it how many of us would want to take on the responsobillities that go with running this city i know i would not.

It is still a responsible job and the ratepayer (and I was one for many years) expects a fair deal. I think they could do a lot better. It is no good asking the man in the street if he could do better. These people who run the city are paid a helluva lot of money for doing it. There are some things they get right but also others they get wrong.

What Nottingham has to offer is about Nottingham and not about the City leaders. Nottingham has a lot of history to offer and could be presented better. Not just Robin Hood, but the fact that it was a very popular place for the medieval Kings.

I live in Mansfield and I feel the same here that the history of Sherwood Forest is not presented better. The two locations could work together to grab the tourists.

I love Nottingham for its history and the fact that I grew up in Nottingham. But there are parts that I would not go into after dark.

• Upvote 1