Nottingham Street Names

Just found this and I thought some members may find it interesting I certainly did. It lists Nottingham Street Names of old and quite an interesting introduction, there is a great many I can't remember

http://nottinghamhiddenhistoryteam.wordpress.com/2013/12/06/old-nottingham-street-index/

• Upvote 1

John Blackner's "History of Nottingham" published in 1815 (I have a facsimile published in 1976)

Lists all Streets,roads,alleys & courts in the town at that time.

One Interesting street that is not listed on link in post one is Bunkers Hill it ran between Milton Steet & Newcastle street(now part of lower Parliament Street)

Haughton Street(became Clinton street East c1895 when GCR was built.)

Parliament Row was between Haughton Street(Clinton Street East) & Clinton Street(now Clinton Street West)

There was a row of shops/houses that ran between Bunkers Hill & Parliment Row(Haughton Street & Clinton Street) till about 1883/4.

The Old Shambles(buchers stalls) were to the rear of the Old Exchange demolished in 1926.

• Upvote 1

Just found this and I thought some members may find it interesting I certainly did. It lists Nottingham Street Names of old and quite an interesting introduction, there is a great many I can't remember

http://nottinghamhiddenhistoryteam.wordpress.com/2013/12/06/old-nottingham-street-index/

I enjoyed looking at these, thanks.

There must have been lots of short cuts and allyways. I have a fascination with the border of the Lace Market and Narrow Marsh. Malin Hill is a thoroughfare which has history and really fires my imagination. Along with Short Hill, Short steps and the one which is now out of bounds - Long stairs. Then there is the site of Plumptre House at the back of St. Mary's Church. I could wander round there all day. That is the area where the City was born.

• Upvote 1