tuned in or tone deaf. School choir

I remember sometime during my schooling i auditioned for the school choir ,dont know if it was welbeck or trent bridge cant remember but to get in you needed to put a few la la,s together ,i remember the laughter when one boy could only produce ya ya,s did sound very funny as he went up the scale.Did you experience any funny bits in your quest to be a singer or musician.

I was in the school choir at Glenbrook Junior School but when I went to secondary school my voice broke so I stuck to singing in the bath. My voice isn't too bad now but most of my family are tone deaf. When my eldest son tries to sing someone calls to police to report a murder.

• Upvote 1

Not exactly school choir. I think they knew better than to ask. Always loved music though, especially organ. So here I am pushing 70 and taking lessons. I can play reasonably well at home or in an empty church. When asked to play in front of people, I get tense, make a mistake, which makes me more tense leading to another mistake and just about into a tailspin. Just a case of stage fright. Folks tell me I just need to keep on. It will get better, but sometimes I wonder. Maybe I should just play for the Dog's enjoyment. :-)

• Upvote 1

As I was told by one of my teachers who was a professional accompanist and at one time had is own choir, before I was about to play in public 'don't bother about that lot they are ignorant'. It was said to me while I was still at school and before I really understood the meaning of the word 'ignorant'. But what he said is true and I often think about it now.

• Upvote 2

Glad I'm not so alone as I thought. Mr. Charlesworth you are so right. ;-). My teacher said many of 'em were brought up on Rap etc. they wouldn't know a mistake in J.S Bach even when you make one. Seriously my Beagle does seem to like Bach. He curls up in my chair when I play, doesn't even howl. Malcolm, sounds like most teachers think the same way. LOL.

• Upvote 1

As a child I learnt to play the guitar and flute, but when I went to the music teacher to apply to join the school orchestra, the only thing they let me play was the triangle..

You're lucky all I got to play was "air guitar" noblue

• Upvote 1

Like Bilbraborn i would love to have a musical talent and suspect Loppylugs is a lot more talented than what he admits to, the fact that you can play loppylugs makes me envious.The fact that your dog doesent go awol suggests you are very competent no doubt gained through alot of hours practice good on ya mate.

Thanks for your kind words. I don't have a high opinion of my abilities. I suppose if one does have such an opinion one is getting proud and that can lead to a fall. I left it until too late in life. I see kids and teenagers on YouTube playing with tremendous talent. That was one of the few things good that I can say about Chandos school. They did insist we listened to music other than Elvis etc. one reason I started was that I felt like it would be a good brain challenge at my age. That has proved true. Btw. It's never too late to start if you are still breathing.

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

I'm probably the wrong person to ask. You should probably ask my teacher. LOL

I guess it is coming on, slow but sure. Presently struggling with counting mixed value beats. Having to relearn fractions. 1/4s 1/8s 64s etc. Find keeping my fingers and feet on the right notes hard enough without being asked to count out loud as I play, as my teacher did last week. Hopefully it will prevent senility, or maybe I'm already there!!!

I was in a school choir at Wm Crane then my voice broke, after which I didn't sing for years, then I was in an amateur production of 'Oliver' as Bill Sykes. I thought I was safe because in the film, he doesn't sing but in the stage show he does and I was lumbered with singing a couple of songs. Still, you know what they say; not the best but certainly the loudest.

• Upvote 3

When me and my mate were about ten or eleven, we used to be regulars at the joke shop on Goldsmith St, stocking up with stink bombs, itching powder and stuff. At that time we were 'volunteered ' by our mam's, church regulars, into St Faiths choir. Could never understand why, Aled Joneses we were not! We also got stick from our other mates.

At the start of each service, the choir would all troop around the church from the vestry to the altar, following the Rev Whalley and the lay-preacher, a sourpuss called Mr Thorpe. At the altar the vicar and Mr Thorpe had chairs either side. One Sunday night we'd gone round and were all sat down waiting to start, except Mr Thorpe who stood by his chair examining it closely. He then turned to us in the choir-stalls opposite and beckoned us with his finger. I played the innocent, so my mate had to scurry across, in front of a bemused congregation. He then retrieved the joke plastic dog turd he had placed on his chair.

Our choir duties were dispensed with soon after.

• Upvote 1