Oo dat in der sayin ++ Oo R Ya ++ ?

Hya, am new ere.

An ahl mek it clear from the start, it wont me wot put a bottle on the railway line near Edwards Lane bridge, in abaht 1947, ta mek white poudah. An wen the driver stopped the engine, ran up the bank, across fehst field, over the fence into Fred and John Carcasses garden and out the front gate, across Alderton Road, an nocked on front door and me mam op`nd it, he sed it wos me an pointed ter me hiding under the table. Bur ah dint do it. Just in case any coppers read this an think ah did.

Ya cudnt do ote wi the poudah enyway wen yer gorrit. Screws were good tho, they made little double-edged saws, but yer cudnt cut ote.

Ah wos alright tho really, ah wonted ter goo ter Sundy school but me dad wunt let meh, e ses, "It`s onleh a fortnite ter Christmas, thell think yer joinin just fer the parteh." Ah wont.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it`s all been done before. Thing is though, others write it just for a laugh, but I`ve never grown up, sadly I still talk like that!

It must be nice coming from Bulwell, Arnold, Sneinton, etc., When people ask and we say, "Edwards Lane Estate," the universal reply is "Where??" Small estate

but there were plenty of good kids around, like: Brian, Mick and Roy (Chick) Thorpe; Alan Tatton; Ian Garfitt; Trevor Brammer; Robert Mee; Terry Cawthorne; Dennis Musson; John Hornett; Brian and Keith Blagden; Ann Atkinson; Fred, John, Doris and Mary Carcass; Brian Richardson; Alan Justice; Bernard Barnaby; Tony and Carol Pike; Henry Plummer; Cyril (Fat) Smith and his brother Harold; Brian Hamer; Philip Severn; Lesley Tomlinson; Neil Wheeler; Joey Inger; Alan Spooner; Terry Siddall, (Siddle?); Pete (Nub) Galloway and sister Jean; Harry (Crapper) Bradley and then others on the periphery - John Allen and sister Susan, (She wer nice) of Costock Av;

Barbara Heywood, near Valley Rd. (me fehst snog!) Johhny Robinson; Tony Pynegar and Terry Newham. Plenty more, apologies to those not mentioned. I know some of those are no longer with us, and probably more that I`m not aware of. I currently have contact with only one of those mentioned. I was born in 1940, a couple mentioned are slightly older, most are about the same age. Old gits eh?!

Ennyway, ah dint cum on ere ter woffle abaht all this, ah looked on ere last nite an sumbody ed a photo an e dint no wir it wos. Ah did, bur ah cant find it nah.

Ah sined up an red a page tonite, an theh wer on abaht lurkin er summat. Worrisit? Ah thort, this is a funneh site, ahl keep me back ter the wall, yer nevvah no.

Ya dont tho da yer nahdays. It cud be a site full er perverts, ah wunt no wud ah, till theh got meh.

What a plonker! No, not bragging, I mean me. I was just about to ask for help to locate the thread with the photo, and suddenly thought, "I`ll look in History, see where I was on the web last night." Well, gimme a chance, I am ode!

The thread the photo is in, appears dead, but new readers will come along in the future, and so for their benefit I`ll now find the thread and post my answer.

`Katyjay` got it right, `Poohbear` made several guesses, most of which were correct. As my old dad used to say, "You can`t beat guesswork if it`s right"

See ya kids...

• Upvote 4

Welcome spikisland9 you may have known my late father in law Harold Bull and his two brothers. According to er indoors the three brothers Harold Henry And Walter all attended Haywood school in the early 1940s

Enjoy the site

fch782c

Thanks for that, Stephen Ford and Mick Toomey (Just guessin!)

fch782 post #4 - I definitely know the name Bull, but cannot put a face or address to it. I think possibly both your `er indoors` and myself are lost in the mists of time! Being born 1940 I won`t have been aware of much until at least 5 or 6. By age 9, I will certainly have been aware of the Haywood, (Heywood?) school, but from that date - 1949, to the best of my knowledge it was a girls only school. Your information could be right, it may have been a mixed or even boys only school prior to 1949. Any idea what road they lived on?

Regards SPIKEISLAND9

Shud ah thort onit fehst time, fch782 #4

There were two different Heywood schools: the original close to Perry Road, (which I knew as all girls) probably described as Sherwood; That was closed and a school newly built using the same name, around late fifties/sixties, on what locals called `second field` which was bounded by Edwards Ln., Ribblesdale, Bedale/Edale, and the railway line, probably described as Edwards Lane Estate.. This was bang on the site of the old `Daybrook Vale Farm` mentioned elsewhere on this site. I`ve probably confused you even more now, it`s just the way I am!

Regards SPIKEISLAND9

We probably clashed "SPIKEISLAND9" i was from the old Bestwood est and used to make forays in to that disputed territory called Scotties farm,to nick strawberries :biggrin:

benjamin1945: So it was you! Every time my mam sent me to the shops on Arnold Road, the Bestwood kids would fiddle with my bike while I was inside. Tyres let down,one time. Light gone, another. Then pump gone.

You`ll have known Morleys the chemist then, and Peter Pottage with his `funny` hand at the Post Office/newsagent. And nobody could forget HoleHouse the ironmonger. Such a quirky character, he warrants a whole forum to himself.

Is it just me, or were those strawberries the biggest and best flavoured you`ve ever known? Even better than nickin `em, was picking `em and getting paid while eating plenty at the same time. He didn`t grow them many years though did he? He got wise! They were actually Woodies, (?? Wood, market gardener.) Where the farm track started from Oxclose Lane, immediately on the right corner was a small tip. A little further up the track, before Scotties, a right turn led to Woodies. His house was in the middle of his orchard. If you carried on past Scotts, what was the name of the next farm? I did know it at the time. He kept pigs, surrounded by an electric fence. We used to count how many jolts we could stand before letting go of the wire.

Closer to you than us, were `the dungeons` I bet you played in there. It was the remains of the concrete infrastructure from the gun emplacement. My grandma lived in a flat on Gainsford Crescent, when I visited with my mam, when I was really young, the army camp was still in operation, we used to see the barrage balloon on the days it was up.

Skylarks were ten a penny in those days weren`t they, never hear one now. Partridges as well, that would take off from right under your feet, with a sound like a motorbike.

#8`YES SPIKEISLAND,PROBABLY ME WITH YA BIKE,I USED TO TAKE PAPERS FOR POTTAGES AND THEAKERS ON ANDOVER,SPENT HOURS PLAYING IN THE DUNGEONS,ARMYY HAD GONE WHEN I KNEW THEM,WE CALLED IT "CAMP HILL",OUR SCHOOL FOOTBALL PITCH WAS NEXT TO THEM,AND I REMEMBER A LAD BIT OLDER THAN ME JOHNNY DERRY PLAYING THERE "SEANS DAD,COUNTY MANAGER.NICE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WITH OLD BESTWOOD CONNECTIONS ON NOTTSTALGIA,

#8,you have jogged my memory,WOODIES then on to scotties.my grandma was in those old peoples flats as well on gainsford

Hi spikeisland9

Talking to er indoors I may have got mixed up with the school as they have a sister Edith who may have been the one to attend Haywood school. I will speak to my mother in law tomorrow see she can shed any light on the subject and maybe post some old photos

#10 - 69 yr old ben: Ya come on here, nick my bike, nick my strawberries, now you tell me it was your grandma lived above my grandma and stamped about with pit boots on. Somebody did, mine was always moaning!

fch782c #11: I can`t place any of the male Bulls, but I was aware of a female, maybe Edith sounds right but I can`t be certain. I think the family lived near the Alderton Road end of Rosecroft Drive, if not, close to that same junction on Longmead near the two shops.

denshaw #12: I didn`t know that newsagent at Calverton, so cannot know the answer, but I`d bet a few quid on it being the same gent. In spite of his disability, he was very deft when it came to tearing the exact number of postage stamps out of large sheet in a book. Same with folding papers etc.

Every time my mam sent me to the shops on Arnold Road, the Bestwood kids would fiddle with my bike while I was inside. Tyres let down,one time. Light gone, another. Then pump gone.

You`ll have known Morleys the chemist then,

My dad worked there for several years in the late 1960s.