Music/Piano Shop on Sneinton Road

Well 40 years in the piano trade and all in Nottingham and I have found a new one. Bought a piano yesterday to put on Ebay as a cheapie starter piano. It was supplied new by a firm called Frank H. Sketchley, 117 Sneinton Road, Nottm. I have never heard of this shop, I wonder if anyone else has. The piano dates from the mid 1920's and was never anything else other than cheap.

I have never heard of pianos being supplied by dry cleaners either :biggrin:

No surprise to find that the building no longer exists. It would have been right next to the William Booth/Salvation Army site at Notintone Place.

Looking at Streetview, the branch of Lloyds Pharmacy is 113 Sneinton Road, so move two to the right and that's where the shop was. http://goo.gl/maps/BVASp

Frank Horsman Sketchley born 1868 in Lincs . He was obviously very talented . On the 1891 Census he is lodging in town and described as a "professor of music" at the age of 23 .

On the 1901 Census he is living at 117 Sneinton Rd with his wife and family, he is described as a piano tuner and repairer .

There are adverts in the news archives right up to the 1930s selling pianos at that address but no mention of the traders name .

On the 1911 Frank is described as a teacher of music still at 117 Sneinton Rd.

There are much earlier adverts for a Frank H Sketchley , advertising pianos in 1894 but in Netherfield, no road name is given but his sons have Netherfield as their birth address in the 1911 census .

This is a nearly-but-not-quite photo. It shows Sneinton Road looking towards Carlton Road, but slightly below where the piano man was. 117 Sneinton Road would be just over and behind the photographer's right shoulder.

eldon.jpg

It's changed a bit, because this is the equivalent today.

eldon1.jpg

Mmmm lost a bit of the charm but the older one is a great photo !

Must have been early in the morning to be able to take that picture standing in the middle of the road !

Thanks for the info folks. I only really know Sneinton Road/Sneinton Dale as it is now. I find it difficult to imagine a Music Shop up there!

• 3 weeks later...

My Gran lived on Sneinton Boulevard and we used to travel on the number 3 bus back to town after visiting her when I was a child. Where that Golf is parked in the second picture, I seem to recall we used to go past some houses that were half demolished. It fascinated me as a child, becuase you could see fireplaces and wall-papered walls. (I was born in 1948, so it would prob be early Fifties that I'm talking about) Not sure if the demolished houses were bomb-damaged from the war or whether they'd got to the end of their time and were being pulled down anyway.

I love the first picture - guess that's how it must have looked pre-WW1 when my Gran first moved to Sneinton from a Derbyshire village.

Not relevant, but the difference between the two reminds me of Arkwright Street - busy and full of shops and people - back in the Sixties, and now it's just desolate and not a soul to be seen the odd time I've driven along it.

Not relevant, but the difference between the two reminds me of Arkwright Street - busy and full of shops and people - back in the Sixties, and now it's just desolate and not a soul to be seen the odd time I've driven along it.

Millions of people with their own little businesses,providing jobs for millions of shop assistants,window cleaners,shop fitters,delivery drivers,etc etc. Now taken over by the Tescos of this world with the help of politicians and an idle public that can't be bothered to shop around.

Desolate High streets and Markets with closed shops,cafes and pubs, because there's no passing trade....A different world. I think we've shot ourselves in the foot...no wonder there are no jobs.

• Upvote 1