Posting on behalf of Mother - Cottesmore School

Hey guys! Think this may be a long shot but it's worth a try! My Mum has told me many stories about an old school and work friend she used to have. Her name was Janet McCulloch (spelling could be wrong) and she attended Cottesmore Secondary School in Radford/Lenton with my Mother between somewhere between, 1968-1972ish.

If anyone has any info on this lady or of the school during that era it'd be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place?!

Brought up on Broadholme Street in New Lenton. House is now demolished but we still go back and wander round and look at the little dark corners where we stood snogging all those years ago.

• Upvote 2

Melissa, we were always skint and used to wander round in the evenings. We used to stand outside the chip shop at the south end of Frederick Grove to keep warm. It's a private house now.

• Upvote 1

I lived near your mum early-mid 60s. On Alfreton Road above Dewhurst Butchers, access down the side of the pub.

I see its now Ali's Fruit & Veg?

• Upvote 1

When I was at Glenbrook School in the fifties we used to go swimming every week at Boden Street. No Beechdale Baths then. The chlorine content was high and used to nearly blind me.

• Upvote 1

I lived near your mum early-mid 60s. On Alfreton Road above Dewhurst Butchers, access down the side of the pub.

I see its now Ali's Fruit & Veg? 

Unfortunately it is! My Mum has always stayed local to the area and definitely would have been close by in the early/mid 60s. She was born in '57 so would only have been a young 'un mind.

When I was at Glenbrook School in the fifties we used to go swimming every week at Boden Street. No Beechdale Baths then. The chlorine content was high and used to nearly blind me.

The swimming baths on Boden Street is now a Snooker/Pool/Hang out place for chavs if it's where I think it used to be!

I went to Glenbrook infants too and we went to the baths in Boden Street - this would have been mid-late 60's. It was horrible! My Grandma lived on Boden Street at some stage before she was married. Bet no-one can remember her, though, being as she got married in 1907....

• Upvote 1

The Odd bath I had was at Boden Street.

A luxury, lashings of hot water, there was only an oversink gas 'Ascot' water heater in the kitchen at the house 86a Norton Street.

• Upvote 1

I went to Glenbrook infants too and we went to the baths in Boden Street - this would have been mid-late 60's. It was horrible! My Grandma lived on Boden Street at some stage before she was married. Bet no-one can remember her, though, being as she got married in 1907....

Seems your Gran and my Mum both lived on the same street back in the day! Who knows, could even have been the same even! Thanks for sharing with me :)

The Odd bath I had was at Boden Street.

A luxury, lashings of hot water, there was only an oversink gas 'Ascot' water heater in the kitchen at the house 86a Norton Street.

86a Norton Street is just up from where I live at the moment! What's your connection to the house Mike?!

If anyone wants to jump threads to Radford Baths and Boden Street.......... http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8262&hl=boden&page=1

Thanks Cliff Ton, will check the thread out :)

Come down Hartley Road, turn right into the short part of Norton Street First new house on the right was where 86a Stood.

Lived there as a lad of 14-16 yrs. :)

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...