Traditional English Bank Holiday Events

Not sure if this is the right place, but just been reading about the eccentric yet traditional events that are held all over England on Bank Holidays, and at other times. Some of these go back centuries

Here are some that I have been reading about, how many more are there?

Dorset Knob throwing - involving a triple baked biscuit, normally eaten with a local blue cheese. Relatively new sport started in 2008.

Sweeps Festival, from the 1700's a day for the boy sweeps to dust off the soot and have a little fun.

Cheese Rolling - 200 year old tradition of chasing huge rolling cheeses down the slopes of Coopers Hill in Gloucestershire...and for the pc brigade the cheese was replaced last year with a foam version as the local police has said the cheese maker could face legal action.

Well Dressing one of our almost local traditions, where the origins are lost in the mists of time, of Derbyshire and Staffordshire.

Shin Kicking A 400 year old form of wrestling from the Cotswolds

Water Football another one from Gloucestershire involving a lot of water, the River Windrush and 6 a side teams

Tetbury Woolsack Races thought to have started in the 17th century, by local lads trying to impress the girls with their strength and fitness, by carrying 60lb sacks of wool up Gumstool Hill in Tetbury, which has a gradient of 1:4 in places.

Do we have any similar traditions in Nottinghamshire?

Swan upping......................annual census of swans,on the thames

I Love to watch the 'Morris Men'. The last ones I saw were at Stratford on Avon, and those fellows were having the time of their life. They certainly kept the audience happy. I must say they look really cool in their white gear and ribbons and bells. Cor!

a friend of ours is in the dolphin morris men they are performing next thursday 8th at the boat inn priory st old lenton on the grass between the pub and my old house