On the Old Maps website there's the more serious version of that game. At every location you look at, you get an example of a Russian map from the 1970s. These are genuine and were created at the height of the Cold War, and show what the Communist Bloc were looking at when the idea of nuke Nottingham was a real possibility. This map may look familiar, until you see the language used for the street names.

russian.jpg

You may joke M.dancer,but I still remember vividly all the Vulcans lined up at Scampton fully loaded with crews in them ready to go at the time of the Cuban Missile crisis. Each crew had a reserve place to land as neither Scampton .Lincoln (or Nottingham) would be there on their return. Scary times.

• Upvote 3

They were scary days, Stan. I'm not sure any of us are much safer now. This Ukraine thing could get really ugly really quick for all of us, yet the so called media spin it like no big deal.

I think with M.A.D. loppylugs,the Russians are not stupid unlike our American cousins. The real danger is the Chinese. I always remember the talk given by Mao`s wife Jiang Qing talking about the way he ,without hesitation was prepared to sacrifice a half of the population if it enabled him to gain his goals. Never forget in spite of all the spin it was the Russians who sacrificed most to keep us from Nazi Germany. 22 million Russian dead.

I always remember 2 things about the cold war and my time in Germany. One was crossing into East Berlin and seeing the memorial to the Russians killed by Hitler ,-how moving it was. The other was a Russian tank in West Berlin as a memorial and reminder of their bravery. I believe it still contained the crew killed in action and the tank filled with concrete as a lasting reminder.

• Upvote 1

On exercise in the RAF, an officer once said, " Wear the old wind up watches chaps. They are not effected by atomic radiation as battery powered watches would be". An interesting fact but not relevant to the wearer who would probably be micro-waved!

You may joke M.dancer,but I still remember vividly all the Vulcans lined up at Scampton fully loaded with crews in them ready to go at the time of the Cuban Missile crisis. Each crew had a reserve place to land as neither Scampton .Lincoln (or Nottingham) would be there on their return. Scary times.

Stan

I was in BAOR too.

There is a serious point to be made with my post, in that the calculations of the program are accurate. If you really want to know what the effect of a nuclear strike anywhere in UK would be, that is the tool to use. Its an adapted copy of the classified program actually used by government to calculate the effects of such a strike.

Hey leave Slough alone. Don't they make Mars bars there?

It was supposed to be Slough!

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough, It isn't fit for humans now

John Betjeman. 1937

He got it right so long ago, have you been there recently, what a dump, nice place if you support Abu Hamsa and shuffle around in a black dustbin sack, within sight of Windsor Castle too.

I think with M.A.D. loppylugs,the Russians are not stupid unlike our American cousins. The real danger is the Chinese. I always remember the talk given by Mao`s wife Jiang Qing talking about the way he ,without hesitation was prepared to sacrifice a half of the population if it enabled him to gain his goals. Never forget in spite of all the spin it was the Russians who sacrificed most to keep us from Nazi Germany. 22 million Russian dead.

I always remember 2 things about the cold war and my time in Germany. One was crossing into East Berlin and seeing the memorial to the Russians killed by Hitler ,-how moving it was. The other was a Russian tank in West Berlin as a memorial and reminder of their bravery. I believe it still contained the crew killed in action and the tank filled with concrete as a lasting reminder.

22 million Russians dead is a conservative estimate.

Talking of Russian tanks, in 1991 I was in Prague to photograph a tank. It was in Smichov district (very close to the Staropamen brewery - my hotel room was opposite the bottling plant, so I heard the clanking of bottles all night) The tank was the first Soviet tank to enter Prague in 1968. On the lead up to the Velvet Revolution, the tank was painted pink by dissidents. Every day the Sovs painted it green. At night it got painted pink again....