So here we are and another wet bank holiday weekend, Whitsuntide it used to be called, someone asked the other day what it meant. How times have changed.

This was the bank holiday when Mum and Dad used to pack up a picnic of sandwiches, tomatoes and hardboiled eggs, and Mr Kiplings fruit pies, and we would go off to Sutton On Sea for the day, usually on the Tuesday. Picnic in the grassy car park before going for a paddle in the boating pond or straight onto the beach if the tide was 3 miles out.

I remember the little wooden yacht that my brother used to have, they were generally blue and the mast and sail could be raised.

I remember us sitting at the bottom of the sea wall, which is now covered up with sand and just the tops of the steps showing, building a sand wall to try to stop the sea actually reaching the wall, then climbing up the steep slope when we failed.

I remember going on the putting green and creating holes in it in my attempt to hit the ball....it was closed the next day (oops)

And more recently, well about 20 years ago, I took my own children there who enjoyed the same entertainment that we used to. Even the same ice cream shop by the pool.

I was there again a couple of years ago and though the putting green has disappeared, and the pool has been upgraded Sutton On sea had not changed overly much apart from the sea wall. Many of the same shops still there. It was a real blast from the past.

Won't be there this weekend, at the moment sat in the awning listening to the rain beating down.

• Upvote 7

Sutton on Sea............anyone remember the chalet site with a big radio transmitter mast in the middle of it, I think it was part of the name.......Radio?????

That's the one Den'...................It was on St Peter's Lane, more Trusthorpe than Sutton, thanks :jumping:

Lovely memories and I always call it Whit week. But remember, we live in the UK where the weather is so unpredictable. We can't have such green grass AND wall to wall sunshine. Don't forget your umbrella.

One thing I remember from our trips to Sutton on Sea when I was young was the sea wall and the black/green slime on the stonework at the base. Even though it was a sloping wall, it was impossible to climb up it due to the slime.

Even remember the place we stayed at had a pump at the kitchen sink to get water.