I love my wildflowers:

Lovely Compo! It's a pity a neighbour of ours doesn't have a wild flower garden like yours. This chap doesn't have a care about how his house and garden looks and this summer his front garden looks such a mess. His next door neighbour was telling me that he had been going round and mowing the lawn but not telling him, it was just a good deed. The chap thought his grass wasn't growing so sprinkled some wild flower seeds all over the lawn!!! What a mess it is now, lol.

• Upvote 1

When I walk through a council estate, I bet I can pick out every privately owned house. They're the ones with the hedges cut, flowers in the borders and decent well painted fencing. The others are invariably hedges which take up half the pavement, weeds three feet high, broken fencing and several chavvy old relics in the drive / lawn.

It doesn't take much effort to produce a decent bit of garden. These twerps who say they are keeping it wild for the insects are in the main just bone idle. I want rid of the insects as I'm sick of being bitten then having swelled up arms and legs then having to visit the docs for antibiotics.

• Upvote 1

W-ton Council have been setting some Road islands with Wild Flowers for a while. I first noticed them last year and I thought it looked wonderful. Among the mix, has been; Scarlet Sage, Poppies and Cornflowers. I don't know if it's an economy drive, but they are so pretty when they are all in flower. I expected them to look straggly when they had passed their best, but they lasted quite a long time, and the Council kept them in check. For lovers of Wild Flowers, it was a treat. I'll remember my Camera next year ( I think) :unsure::biggrin:

Not a Rose fan myself, but I detest insects, that's why I encourage the birds.

The wild flowers have mostly "Gone over" by now but there are some late flowering ones that are looking good. In our main path we have a succession of flowers that keep the bees fed. They begin nin spring with daisies, which are followed by buttercups, marsh orchids, white clover and then red clover. We always leave patches of this when mowing and when it has gone over it gets cut. If you don't cut, it just becomes a total mess. i think the main point one needs to remember when gardening with wildflowers is that they need to be managed. You can't just let the place run amok or it will become a tangled mess of thatch and scrub.

Here's one of the more delicate wildflowers in the garden... Cow Cockle:

IMG_0253.JPG?gl=GB

and the reward for having wild flowers....A great Yellow bumblebee; once common, now very rare:

Great%2520Yellow.JPG?gl=GB

More native wildflowers (June 2014) Burdock, rocket, iris foxglove:

IMG_0117.JPG?gl=GB

Hens and chickens:

IMG_7789.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 1