Model Trolleybus on Carlton Road?

Hi All,

I was at Hogarth Junior school on Carlton Rd from about 1954 or 5 to 1958 or 9. I see that nowadays it is a Hindu temple and no longer a school.

This question is about a vague childhood memory which I was reminded of recently when I read some postings about the trolleybuses that used Carlton Rd. I wonder if anyone remembers a peculiar shop on the same side of the road as the school, going towards the town centre, that had nothing in the window but a model trolleybus? I have a very vague memory that it was a six-wheeler and that at some time it may have been activated by putting a coin in a slot, maybe in the shop door? I never saw it move and probably lost interest when I moved up the road to Manvers Bilateral School.

I've looked on Google Earth and the shops in that area look to be fairly old, so maybe someone else recalls the bus? The old school fronts onto Carlton Rd at the junction with Linnell St. The "Boys Entrance" we used is now bricked up.

Cheers

ManversBoy

Maybe not much help, but I think this is the stretch of road you are referring to. These photos from PTP are 1976, so if you look really carefully you might still see the trolleybus.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM019031&prevUrl=

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM019030&prevUrl=

Hi Cliff Ton,

Yes, thanks for those shots. The first shot shows the block of shops I'm thinking off and I can see the front buildings of the school have now gone. I did a search after posting and another member, Bubblewrap, asked the same question as me here:-

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9289&page=3

That means I didn't imagine it, at least!

MB

• 7 months later...

haha .......the Trolley busses was a nipper then we had a café next to St Pauls school (which I went to) opposite to the earl of Chesterfield next to us was Budds the newsagent I can remember catching the 62..? with my Mum to Nottingham where she used to go to Snenton Market

I well remember Budds newsagents the bus would have been the 39to town the 38 terminated at hooten road.

the earl of chesterfield was well known as the bruno

that's it......39... .... well we had the café next door / ice cream shop.. I played darts at the Bruno from the age of 15... no coppers on here is there... lol

Billy Corkhill,, ex county football player tried to go out with his daughter really had the hots for her but his wife Della was having none of it......

I knew Billy and Della well I was in the dart team for a number of years, steam black pudding sandwiches on darts night wow!

Frank kendall secretary. happy days.

we must have played darts sometime that should be from 16yrs old .. came in from collage on a fri night...... there was a bloke playing the piano next to the dartboard ...? don't get that in pubs nowdays ..................!

• 3 months later...

Hello

The shop with the tram in the window was 181 Carlton Road. You put a coin into the slot and the tram went up and down. The shop was a bit to the left of the two photos that were posted, being between Randalph Street and Leighton Street. There is another photo I have seen with the Turners bakey shop (which was on the corner of Randalph Street) on it. Next to that was the Methodist chapel, then there was a sweet shop, then a dry cleaners, then 181. My Father took the shop and acomodation on in 1959 and removed the tram. We lived there for about 10 years. I also went to Hogarth and Manvers but I think I would be about two years after you.

• 5 months later...

Hello

The shop with the tram in the window was 181 Carlton Road. You put a coin into the slot and the tram went up and down. The shop was a bit to the left of the two photos that were posted, being between Randalph Street and Leighton Street. There is another photo I have seen with the Turners bakey shop (which was on the corner of Randalph Street) on it. Next to that was the Methodist chapel, then there was a sweet shop, then a dry cleaners, then 181. My Father took the shop and acomodation on in 1959 and removed the tram. We lived there for about 10 years. I also went to Hogarth and Manvers but I think I would be about two years after you.

John,

Only just caught up with this thread, I had completely forgotten about it, sorry.

I'm glad to know that the little trolleybus isn't a figment of my imagination! Used to catch a (full-sized!) No 39 outside Hogarth and get off at Porchester Road. I was at Hogarth from about 54 or 55 and then Manvers from either 59 or 60.

HNY,

MB