2 Lancs, Vulcan, Spitfire, Hurricane, RAF Marham Today

vulclancs.jpg

After a change of plan Jack and I shot off to Swaffham yesterday morning. We met my old friend Mick in the Greyhound and went over to Marham, it happened to be 'Family Day', not open to the public, but we found a brilliant spot at the fence, next to a pig farm but right opposite the main hangars. We were treated to some aerobatics by a Pitts Special, then an Avro Anson took off and stooged around, there were a few people around but not the thousands crammed around Waddington and Conningsby.

Then a Spitfire and Hurricane appeared and started to circle around followed by three dots in the distance, they got closer and the sun came out. Along came the Vulcan with the two Lancs following closely on each wingtip, you could only hear the Lancs, not the massive Vulcan. This incredible formation banked towards us then straightened up over the runway, as they got parallel to us the Vulcan put on it's ear splitting full power and climbed vertically out of the formation, as the Lancs flew underneath, it did a wingover and tanked off at full speed for Clacton with it's attendant Hawk appearing over the top, carrying out a photo shoot. As the Lancs circled over the East of the runway, we looked behind us to see the MkX1X Spitfire power dive right towards us and proceed to carry out a series of acrobatics overhead. The two Lancs, less than a length apart, then carried out a very fast circular tail chase right around us, then the Hurricane and Spitfire joined in, we were all totally overcome by this sight and sound. The whole formation then departed south for Wattisham and Clacton, amazing, if any of you can get to see this, whether you like aircraft or not, it is a fantastic thing to see. We were lucky, a formation of 2 Lancasters and a Vulcan has never been done before and won't ever be again, but who knows. Get over to Gedling a week on Sunday.

Did I get some good photo's, naaa, that one isn't mine, everyone around us were too knocked out to bother along with me.

• Upvote 2

Thanks firbeck....just wish I was over there for this once in a lifetime sight.

Hopefully, someone will have a video and place it on YouTube...

Brilliant write up Pete,I agree with you about taking pictures, I have been to many airshows and only seen them through the camera lens,much more enjoyable to see the whole surroundings,I saw the trio fly over Coningsby on their way to your area,I was on the old RAF Woodhall site working at the time so got a good view of them,as you say get to see them if you can even if not interested in aircraft,it's spectacle not to be missed

Rog

Rog, we were very lucky at Marham, BBC East just went banging on about the Clacton airshow and everyone went there instead. I realise that media cover in the East Midlands were making more out of the event, especially the fact that Waddington was to be open to the public, this proved fatal. I gather that the gates at Waddo had to be shut at 9:00am and the police were opening up farmers fields to accomodate the thousands of spectators that caused traffic jams around the area, I also heard that things were very busy around Conningsby while over 50,000 people clogged up Clacton seafront. I looked up all sorts of enthusiasts forums and the RAF and Canadian Warplane site, I even got the NOTAMS e-mailed to me, and got a look at the route map which told me that the formation would break up at RAF Marham, they hadn't got approval to carry out a public display with all three Avro's at Clacton.

On the way up we stopped off for a coffee and fag at the USAF viewing area at Lakenheath airbase, there were plenty of people but no F-15's. When we said we were off to Marham, nobody knew anything about what was happening there, so we set off more or less at the head of a convoy. We had a swift half at the Greyhound at Swaffham and met my friend, I thought it would be fairly busy at Marham, but it wasn't, I've been before, you drive up a track alongside a pig farm straight to the perimeter fence facing the main hangars and control tower parallel to the runway, we had no problem driving up there and parking under a tree getting right next to an almost empty fence and this was only just over half an hour before the event happened. Because it was RAF Marham Families Day other things were going on, a Pitts special performing aerobatics and a display from a Jet Provost. Then just before the formation arrived we were treated to a quick turn from an Avro Anson, which landed just before the main event, if you know the Anson's ancestry it was used as a bomber at the start of the war, so in a sense, we were at the only event where there were actually three generations of airworthy Avro bombers on show. The other thing of course is that it was the first and only time that the Vulcan broke away from the formation, which it did, very noisily, and off course, being a private RAF event we got the full display routine from the BBMF plus one.

Getting away from the event was also very easy, very little traffic. We went off to my friends daughters house in Swaffham afterwards and could hear Tornadoes taking off and probably displaying, it was only later that we discovered the RAF's first and so far only, F-35 Lightning II was on the base, they're due to replace the Tornadoes in 5 years time, I doubt whether they're as good.

Trevor S if you want some good Youtube footage watch this:- www.youtube.com/watch?V=uXEsMrITsWA&feature=youtu.be

and some more pics:-

lanc10.jpg

lanc11.jpg

lancsun.jpg

lanc12.jpg

• Upvote 2

Think we'll go to have a look if we can find out more info such as approximate timing but judging by what Firbeck has said about the other venues this week it might be difficult to get anywhere near Gedling!

Trevor S if you want some good Youtube footage watch this:- www.youtube.com/watch?V=uXEsMrITsWA&feature=youtu.be

Greatly appreciated firbeck....Saw them when I was a youngster and so sad to see what is left.

We have G-George down here in Oz but that is in the War Museum in Canberra - never to be flown again.

Very poignant film with the bells in the background....Beautiful is the only word for it.

Thanks.

They are appearing at the Gedling Show Richard Herrod Playing Fields Foxhill Rd Carlton. They say between 15:50 & 14:10, but check with the BBMF news page before hand.

When I lived in Finchingfield I was involved with their village fete. One year it was moved to the sports field which sits on a plateau with superb views down the valley, a committee member 'with connections' promised a secret surprise at 5:00pm. Knowing he ran an airline and that the BBMF would be heading back from Southend Airshow, I think I knew the secret. At 5:00 the tannoy started playing the Dambusters March and I looked down the valley to see the whole flight heading straight for us and actually lower than we were. Although classed as just a flypast they did 2 low turns then the Spit broke away and beat up the field as low as he dared, fantastic stuff.

If you think Gedling could be busy, the next appearance in the area will be the Collingham Show and Ploughing Match, 'Larksfield', Newark Road, Collingham, Sat Sept 20th, this will feature a flypast by the 2 Lancs, Spitfire and Hurricane, I don't have a time yet but no doubt this will be available nearer the date.

I was hoping to see them at Duxford Airshow in three weeks time but I'm on holiday in Norfolk, cest la vie.

A big event is the Lancaster Association Members Day at Conningsby on Sunday 28th September, this event is sold out but seems to suggest that all the BBMF aircraft will be in the air at the same time, I saw this occur at Duxford a few years ago, the only time it's happened and it was quite a sight even without the other Lancaster.

Can someone help with this please? i understand most it but not all. What is 'WI' and I assume that NM is nautical miles. I have seen maps of actual flight routes. Where are these to be found?

18) Posted 27 Aug 2014 11:00 GMT (12:00 BST) Tick here to remove this NOTAM from the maps and emails

H4233/14: Air display will take placeQ) EGTT/QWALW/IV/M/AW/000/025/5258N00106W003
FLYPAST BY BATTLE OF BRITAIN MEMORIAL FLIGHT ACFT WI 3NM RADIUS.
525812N 0010600W (GEDLING, CARLTON) OTHER AIRSPACE USERS ARE
REQUESTED TO AVOID THIS AREA DURING THE STATED TIMES.
14-08-0218/OPS 2 LOWER: Surface UPPER: 2,500 Feet AMSL FROM: 31 Aug 2014 14:35 GMT (15:35 BST) TO: 31 Aug 2014 15:10 GMT (16:10 BST)
19) Posted 27 Aug 2014 11:00 GMT (12:00 BST) Tick here to remove this NOTAM from the maps and emails
H4232/14: Air display will take placeQ) EGTT/QWALW/IV/M/W/000/029/5310N00122W003
FLYPAST BY BATTLE OF BRITAIN MEMORIAL FLIGHT ACFT WI 3NM RADIUS.
530942N 0012225W (PILSLEY) OTHER AIRSPACE USERS ARE REQUESTED TO
AVOID THIS AREA DURING THE STATED TIMES. 14-08-0204/OPS 2 LOWER: Surface UPPER: 2,900 Feet AMSL FROM: 30 Aug 2014 12:45 GMT (13:45 BST) TO: 30 Aug 2014 13:20 GMT (14:20 BST)

Pianoman, I get NOTAMS info e-mailed to me every morning, quite frankly I find it impenetrable crap, even trying to register on the site was a pain in the arse, it keeps telling me to do this, this and this to get onto the route maps, only this morning it's telling me they don't recognise my registration, what rubbish, best thing to do is flit between the Flypast Forum and the BBMF News site. Incidentally the flypast over Pilsley is Spitfire and Hurricane only, no Lancs in this one, they seem to be based down at Hurn, Bournemouth, until late Sunday afternoon.

Thanks. Had no trouble registering with NOTAMS but I am still wondering what the attraction is at Pilsley! It's the land that time forgot. The reason I would like a map of the flightpath is because they are not just going to be spirited into the sky at Gedling. They are going to fly there, but where from and to?

It's the Pilsley Village Fete, Sat 30th August, Spitfire and Hurricane only, dep Conningsby 13:30, arr Pilsley 13:50, Chatsworth 14:05, Stafford 14:30, Rhyll 15:00, land Woodvale 15:25.

Sunday 31st Aug, 2 Lancs, dep Bournemouth 13:30, Shoreham 14:20, Milton Keynes 15:25, Gedling 15:50, East Kirkby 16:10 ( presumably to fly over Lancaster 'Just Jane' while taxying ), land Conningsby 16:20.

Does that help?

Just seen on EP website that the Canadian Lancaster has been grounded due to engine problems and won't be flying on Sunday over Gedling. The British plane will still fly over.

• Upvote 1

It is such a shame that there will be just the four Merlins over Nottingham this coming Sunday :-(

I'm trying to work out the best place to be for maximum eyeball-on-Lancaster time. At the moment somwhere around Stoke Bardolph would seem to be ideal. Any other suggestions???

Apparently the Canadian Lancaster only has an oil leak. Won't take long to fix.

I would also like to know the best place for viewing. I don't know the area that well but surely Foxhill Road is on low ground so perhaps the best viewing might be somewhere higher?

It says in the Post today that the Lancaster will fly over Radcliffe on trent golf club, on route to Carlton, so a good spot would be on the old railway viaduct, which is at the side of the RSPCA kennels on the main Radcliffe road.