would'nt say we were poor but.

Not sayin we were poor but when I was very little, dad kept lots of rabbits in the shed in cages, I used to have lots of rabbits to play with, but when they got so big they used vanish somewhere and a new one would be in the empty cage, funny that cos we ate good stew that night with home made bread sometimes, that gran made ! if we were lucky we got some warm milk on the left over bread for supper too.

When the coal man came I used to have to go out after him with a bucket and pick the bits up he'd dropped while lifting the sacks on his back, used to follow him down the street till me bucket was too heavy to carry almost, but knew mum would give me a treat when I got back, also used to collect the poo from the rag and bone mans horse as dad used it to make our plants grow so we could eat them.

But we wer'nt poor just thrifty mum said ! Like when she patched me shorts for me cos she said they looked real tuff with a patch on the bum somewhere, and darned the holes in the heels of me socks so they lasted longer.

And me and me brother had real rabbit skin slippers to keep our feet warm on cold nights ! they were special cos gran had made them from some rabbit skins she had found somewhere.

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...